Cable Tuner PC cards?

GR2

Hi guys, a random thought here just before I hit buy on a zgemma h7.

Considering it costs £175 direct.. I was wonderring if it'd be worth considering building a PC with cable tuner card?

I've got a load of decent spare PC parts, and wonderred:

- if anyone has built a PC with a cable tuner card?
- can gifts be configured with cable tuner cards on a pc?
- any recommendations on cards, setup?
- is it worth the hassle?

the rationale for it is basically having the flexibility, e.g. dual boot os, air mouse, etc.

While I'm here, am I right in thinking the h5.2tc can't run full Kodi, so if thing go t1ts up with vermin h5.2tc will struggle with IPTV?

not sure about building a PC, it's been a while since I've built one.

You're correct that the H5.2tc can't run Kodi but it you can still use the IPTV player plugin and also install paid IPTV subscription using a script to add to epg.

Reactions: GR2
I dont see any reason why a gift couldnt be configured to run on a PC,
it all depends how good you are at building Linux from a kernel
I'm fairly sure you would have to modify a normal Linux OS to get it to run some form of E2, or get it to recognise cams in the correct manner
but, if you are PC savvy I'm sure it will work

Reactions: GR2
I'm running Windows 8.1 with a TV tuner card.
I haven't used it for some time but I used to use it with the DVBviewer program and a plugin called hadu that you put your cline in.
I used to use it before I got cable for satellite and terrestrial. Never tried it on cable.

upload_2017-9-27_22-6-2.png

Thanks guys - really appreciate the quick responses, think mind is made up, a H7C it is.

Although I'd cherish the challenge with building the PC, and essentially an OS image that acts as a TV box, don't think I can invest the time at the moment.

See you over at the H7 board soon.

@GR2 While I'm here, am I right in thinking the h5.2tc can't run full Kodi, so if thing go t1ts up with vermin h5.2tc will struggle with IPTV?
Windows PC will run kodi & kodi runs IPTV :(y):

Yes, true.. but really looking for an all in one solution that covers cable TV also. Would like to avoid the old buffering with IPTV, but keep that as an option.

I'm assuming, the H7C would also likely draw less power, and be quicker to flick through cable tv channels than that of IPTV through a PC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back