Cable, where to start, where to go?

cornorth

Hi all,

Trying to understand what's good cable box wise ideally less than 3 figures, unless there's a massive reason to lure me to do so.

It's been a while. Used to use the 2s then had a h2s for Satellite, which has pretty much ended. Just for all the usual features, get a line, timeshift, record one watch another, which was twin cable (2 feeds).
I want a Cable box to be able to do at least this and to understand how many programs you can record at the same time on Cable.

Basically, I'm not sure how this works with Cable, or how many feeds are required. I've got a single cable feed and have a splitter for the internet and a V6 box.

I'm familiar with enigma 2, Wooshbuild etc and have learnt a lot along the way thanks to all the great stuff on the forum. But I've seen these dual boot stuffs that also have Android too, so I'm not sure what these can do, more importantly how much things have changed, what's possible and what's good value for money. The more I search the more confused it becomes, so I'm reaching out to try and simplify all of this.

Thanks all for your help in advance you lovely lot.

You can record and watch 2 cable channels with the H7c, also run iptv if you wish, plus satellite, it isnt twin tuner though, it's dual tuner which i've recently learned needs two cables in the back so you'd need a 3 way splitter, two for the box and one for router.
Not sure on price but just over £100 i think.
You can carry on with wooshbuild infinity on this box too

The H7C is around £120, as has been said it has two cable tuners each needing its own feed as well as a sat tuner, on this box you could watch a sat channel and record two cable channels, or watch 1 cable channel and record on the other cable tuner and the sat tuner.

There are boxes that contain fbc tuners which acts as 8 tuners but require just the one cable feed, meaning you could watch one and record 7 other channels as long as your line provider allowed it. These are normally cost over £200 though.

Wooshbuild infinity will work on any enigma2 box

ooh now if I didn't already have one I would have had that off you:) why are you getting rid?

Since buying the Vu+ Uno 4K I've bought a GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K and a Vu+ Ultimo 4K which have both got FBC tuners so the Uno is redundant really.

The H7C is around £120, as has been said it has two cable tuners each needing its own feed as well as a sat tuner, on this box you could watch a sat channel and record two cable channels, or watch 1 cable channel and record on the other cable tuner and the sat tuner.

There are boxes that contain fbc tuners which acts as 8 tuners but require just the one cable feed, meaning you could watch one and record 7 other channels as long as your line provider allowed it. These are normally cost over £200 though.

Wooshbuild infinity will work on any enigma2 box

Only just had a splitter split feed into 2, so would need to get a splitter into 3 minimum from the sounds of it.

What do you mean by as long as provider allowed it? Is the recording limit side of stuff different on cable. I recall it on satellite being transponder based?

These FBC tuners sound decent. Does anyone know about the dual boot ones?

You could just buy another 2 way splitter and split the cable again just before it goes into the box, screwfix do a labgear one for just a few quid.

Most providers allow for a box to make two connections ie one to watch and one to record, in the same way sat providers did. If you are using 8 tuners at once (thats a lor of recording) then the provider may not be happy about it that's all.

You could just buy another 2 way splitter and split the cable again just before it goes into the box, screwfix do a labgear one for just a few quid.

Most providers allow for a box to make two connections ie one to watch and one to record, in the same way sat providers did. If you are using 8 tuners at once (thats a lor of recording) then the provider may not be happy about it that's all.

The current V6 box only need one cable to record 6 shows while you watch a 7th recorded earlier. I'd probably at most would want to record 2 in the background whilst watching a 3rd channel live? That's as congested as I can see it getting. Does splitting slow things down?

Those '3pm games' is it still Irish channels and is it possible with Cable?

The current V6 box only need one cable to record 6 shows while you watch a 7th recorded earlier. I'd probably at most would want to record 2 in the background whilst watching a 3rd channel live? That's as congested as I can see it getting. Does splitting slow things down?

Those '3pm games' is it still Irish channels and is it possible with Cable?

If you want to recieve 3 cable channels at the same time, you'd have to get an FBC one as mentioned by @Willo3092 above as there's no boxes with 3 cable tuners.
No 3pm games are available on cable, iptv only

If you want to recieve 3 cable channels at the same time, you'd have to get an FBC one as mentioned by @Willo3092 above as there's no boxes with 3 cable tuners.
No 3pm games are available on cable, iptv only

Ah ok, so I'd be looking at the h7c types, unless there's something cheaper ideally. Don't need satellite as it's pretty much finished. Any other channels not on Cable?

Ah ok, so I'd be looking at the h7c types, unless there's something cheaper ideally. Don't need satellite as it's pretty much finished. Any other channels not on Cable?

As already mentioned, the H7c only has 2 cable tuners so you could watch one and record one.
it will run iptv at the same time (as will any of the modern boxes) so in theory you could watch one iptv channel and record 2 cable channels with H7c

As already mentioned, the H7c only has 2 cable tuners so you could watch one and record one.
it will run iptv at the same time (as will any of the modern boxes) so in theory you could watch one iptv channel and record 2 cable channels with H7c

I think I'd live with record one, watch one scenario, on balance I prefer watching most things live, what I don't prefer are the massive sub. costs to do so

If you have a box with an fbc tuner then it only requires 1 virgin feed, the h7c requires two. splitting the feed again for the H7C should make no difference to signal or broadband speed as long as the splitters and cable are decent quality, not cheap £5 for 100m rolls from ebay or crap like that, I have 2 x labgear 2 way splitters inline in the front room alone, the first splits to the 2nd splitter and my VU+ box (with fbc tuner), the 2nd splitter then has 2 feeds for when I am setting other boxes up.

I think I'd live with record one, watch one scenario, on balance I prefer watching most things live,

Watching to much TV will give you square eyes

Back