Can android use network drive?

grog68

VIP Member
TK Supporter
OK I'm due to receive my new Android TV on Tuesday, they sent it out a few weeks ago but it arrived damaged so had to wait for new stock for a replacement.

I'm wondering if there is a simple way to set up android to access a network drive to record to and playback from? ie at the moment I have 2 enigma2 boxes sharing one hdd for recordings/playback and I am wondering if I could do the same with my android TV? if so then one of the boxes could be put out of sight. It seems silly having to switch tv over to box to watch recordings etc.

Alternatively could I take the external HDD that is plugged into one of enigma2 boxes and plug that directly into the TV (USB) as TV storage and also allow the two enigma2 boxes to have r/w access to the drive over the network?

My bravia says only usb hdd up to 4tb are supported.

Thinking your E2 boxes are in wrong format and not be seen on tv?

My bravia says only usb hdd up to 4tb are supported.

Thinking your E2 boxes are in wrong format and not be seen on tv?
My HDD is only 1tb so that shouldn't be an issue, assumed as android is Linux it should read ext4 HDD but maybe not

Apparently you can do it with ES File Explorer and VLC Player but it all seems a bit messy to me.

I don't bother with the Android side of my Sony at all but you don't seem to be able to buy one without Android these days.
I have a NAS in the loft with 42Tb storage that all my E2 boxes record to and play media from and a Firestick for Netflix etc.

Apparently you can do it with ES File Explorer and VLC Player but it all seems a bit messy to me.

I don't bother with the Android side of my Sony at all but you don't seem to be able to buy one without Android these days.
I have a NAS in the loft with 42Tb storage that all my E2 boxes record to and play media from and a Firestick for Netflix etc.
42TB storage :anguished:

Wonder what you have on it :unsure::whistle:

Yea found that and does look like lot of hassle lol

There is a smb server/client app for android so thinking may be able to plug hdd up on tv and then get enigma2 boxes to access that over network, but until get the tv here and unboxed not sure if or how well it would work. Not sure if it would still be accessable when tv is in standby etc.

tbh it's no hassle switching over to box to watch recordings etc but I do like playing, even before I've got it here lol

Back