can i add extra hard drive to my pc

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
I have an Acer pc AX5400 which is 1TB 500GB C drive and 500 D drive Data. with Windows 7 prem.
Can i upgrade the hard drive to a 2TB then devide it into 1.5 for the C drive and 500 for the D Data drive.

IF so is this easy to install ( like plug & play) or would it be best to take to a pc shop.
Also i assume i would need to back up completely 1st then use the backup once the new hard drive is installed. As i have never opened the back im not sure if there is a spare slot just to put another Hard drive in.
I am using 2 pcs and would like to migrate the 2 into 1 pc. Both have 1TB hard drives ( split into 2 as above).
Some stuff is on both pcs

On both pcs the hard drives are almost full, so what would be the max size hard drive you would recommend adding

i would keep the drives you have and get a 1 or 2tb external hard drive for storage and clean up the other 2.its nice to have 2 seperate hard drives instead of one big one witha partition so you can keep backups or disk images on a seperate drive in case you have a main drive failure.ive got 2 500gb hard drives in mine and im lucky to have 200gb used.what the heck are you keeping?lol.

what the heck are you keeping?.
god knows lol! there are lots and lots of photos and music. there are lots of files with long titles like a345ed3456ef56430a34e - that sort of thing on my C drive - not sure if those are backups, and then on the D Data drive is the backup icon

It seems you are keeping an awful lot of GB's Linny, do you have a lot of movies, Wii Games, music, do you use all the stuff if not, sometimes "tough Love" is sometimes required, keep what you use and delete the rest.
For instance, if you have a movie that you might watch again, but haven't in a year or so - get rid. Also with music, they tend to come bundled as "this weeks top 40 albums" or "this weeks new releases" or something like that. if you look carefully through your music, you will most likely find stuff that you downloaded for friends and don't like, as well as stuff that came in bundles that you didn't want and will never listen to - Again, get rid.
Like Aldan says, if, after trawling through the two hard drives and want to keep all the stuff, then an external hard drive would be the way forward for me.

i do disk clean up. no longer have movies and music is not often downloaded but what i have in my itunes probably disk i have loaded onto pc .
already have externals which are full which have been used for backups. on this pc my
external is 1tb and ive used 620gb on the
C drive its 327gb with 144 free
d drive is 318 used and 140 free.

will check other pc space later other pc has the wii stuff on it

other pc

external 1tb is 769 used 161 free
C drive 250 used 208 free
D drive 265 used 193 free

I somehow need to do a clean up and get both the pcs onto 1 pc, but with 2 seperate external of 1TB each almost used not sure what to do. Think both the externals have backups on and system image, now it could be that when i did a system image it wasnt when pc was new but when it was loaded so that could be a factor.

Think also i may have duplicate files on here and also on both machines. So sounds like i got some hard work to do to try and condense it all.
Anyone know a quick way lol! or any suggestions what to do about backups. should i start over and delete all backups?

Last edited:
Linny, when you say you have back ups (plural) do you mean that you run a backup and it creates an image of all your photos/music, etc. Then when you run it again, it creates a new one and doesn't overwrite the other? if so that may well be your problem, in so far as if the images/backups are 10GB each (as an example) then ten of these is 100 GB, but you may have added nothing new. these will all add up, and fill your HDD quick smart.

Linny, when you say you have back ups (plural) do you mean that you run a backup and it creates an image of all your photos/music, etc. Then when you run it again, it creates a new one and doesn't overwrite the other? if so that may well be your problem, in so far as if the images/backups are 10GB each (as an example) then ten of these is 100 GB, but you may have added nothing new. these will all add up, and fill your HDD quick smart.
Not sure but probably!!
At the moment i am trying to copy stuff over( important stuff) from 1 pc to the other - that way if ive got same stuff on both it will let me know. Once that is done i can then delete everything on the external and reformat, then backup, So sounds like i got a long boring job to do but i MUST get this sorted!

This could possibly help you out with your process Linny

Microsoft SyncToy

Code:
[url=http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155]Download SyncToy 2.1 from Official Microsoft Download Center[/url]

well sorted now got 1 pc :) had a pile of stuff repeated so deleted duplicates.still got a lot of work to do but at least im now down to 1 pc :)

Duplicate file finder:

Code:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html

Thanks Ferg! tried the synctoy but didnt understand it ( only had a quick look), but will check that out over the weekend!
Took all morning to copy files as i did a few files at a time - when i tried to do to many it gave a timespan of like 13 or 24 hrs. took about 45 mins max on some files.
Decided to just unplug other pc and external hard drive and put in cupboard - as you do. transfered what i think i needed moved via homegroup as i could open homegroup from this pc and share files. Even managed to move my firefox and bookmarks over :) and my google stuff is on the google drive.
Will update you with that other link next week.
cheers!!

I know I keep linking you to programs, hopefully they all help some. I can tell you from first hand experience (I move lots of video files) that when it comes to files copies and moves the following program is a must have. Try it out.

Teracopy
Code:
http://codesector.com/files/teracopy.exe

Thanks have saved both files and will look into them during the week. They are all worth a try!. I now have my google chrome cloud that is full ( get 5gb free) and i think thats due to having same files more than once where i copied from the other pc, think files are hidden within files! :(
I know i can upgrade the google drive for around £1.50GBP per month for 25gb ( 25 GB $2.49 / Month) - i used this file for work not for personal stuff

I have 2x 2TB HDDs and 2x 256GB SSDs (Raid0) in my PC and it's still not enough.
I keep a huge library of songs, videos and backups of all my games... In case of damaged disks I'm sure ;)
I also keep backups AND backups of my backups. (Esp with watercooling), you never can be too careful.

Back