Cant flash H9S no matter what I try

GG1

Hello everyone,

I am having some crazy issues. I am not new to this so this has me stumped.

I am trying to flash my Zgemma H9s from openatv 6.2 to openatv 6.3, but it wont work with the multiple USB's I have used and yes I have formatted them correctly.
I then tried online flash and get a weird error it says "image to install is invalid" very weird, tried all three of the openatv 6.3 on the online flash and the same message came up. I also tried an online flash of 6.2 to see if that would work and again same error.

Then I tried to install Grogbuild freerange via the openwebif terminal and it said successful but when it rebooted Whooshbuild was still loading and all my settings were the same?

Then I thought F**K this and did a factory reset, but whooshbuild background image is still there?

Any help would be appreciated, as I have tried my best to fix it myself, but I am now out of ideas, need some serious expertise.

Hopefully hear back from some of you soon as the zgemma is on the verge of becoming a Frisbee.

Kind regards

Gavin

While I have been waiting for a reply I thought I would try and install whooshbuild again, just incase anything got corrupted. It installed successfully then I tried to flash online via the whooshbuild plugin and I get a blue error screen and the H9S crashes and reboots itself.

Trying everything I can, dont like to bother people and ask them for help, but I have tried and have come up with nothing.

restart the system then initialize a USB, change the skin to default (matrix) & then go for an online flash

Thank you for the reply!

I have just tried to online flash from your set of instructions above, it does not crash as it did before, but when it finishes unzipping the file it then says "Image to install is invalid"

Try flashing openvix!! It wont be infinity but will tell you if there is a problem with your receiver!!

Reactions: GG1
Try flashing openvix!! It wont be infinity but will tell you if there is a problem with your receiver!!

Ok thanks I will try that, just downloaded openvix. Will get back to you in a few mins with an update.

Ok thanks I will try that, just downloaded openvix. Will get back to you in a few mins with an update.

Same issue when trying to install openvix, when I turn the H9s on while already holding the reset button the symbol just stays white and nothing comes up on screen. I have to reboot the box to get anything to show on screen.

Thanks for trying to help though!

Same issue when trying to install openvix, when I turn the H9s on while already holding the reset button the symbol just stays white and nothing comes up on screen. I have to reboot the box to get anything to show on screen.

Thanks for trying to help though!
When you put openvix from site on USB was it two sections that both had to go on stick, if my memory serves me!!

Yes it had a H9 folder and the two .bin files that you must be referring to?
I know it sounds a bit stupid asking!! Did you pull the wire out then in? Then hold the little button at the front in till you get a flashing red to White , there will be nothing on the screen for about 5 to 10 minutes!! please don't feel offended but it took me a few times to Flash!! Also try the USB 3 connection!!

Last edited:
Download latest firmware. If “noforce” file is present in the h9 folder please make sure to rename it to “force

3.jpg

1. Use FAT32 formatted USB stick
  2. Send the h9 folder and 2 files (“bootargs.bin” and “fastboot.bin”) to the clean USB memory stick and then take it out of your PC properly expelled first
  3. Switch off your Zgemma H9 at the back, using the white power button
  4. Insert the USB stick into the back USB port of your H9
  5. Press and hold the small, black RESET button at the back, then
  6. Press the white POWER button, while holding the RESET button
  7. Let go of the RESET button once you see the LED flashing (changing colour between white and red)
  8. Wait for the box to load after the installation.

Download latest firmware. If “noforce” file is present in the h9 folder please make sure to rename it to “force

3.jpg

1. Use FAT32 formatted USB stick
  2. Send the h9 folder and 2 files (“bootargs.bin” and “fastboot.bin”) to the clean USB memory stick and then take it out of your PC properly expelled first
  3. Switch off your Zgemma H9 at the back, using the white power button
  4. Insert the USB stick into the back USB port of your H9
  5. Press and hold the small, black RESET button at the back, then
  6. Press the white POWER button, while holding the RESET button
  7. Let go of the RESET button once you see the LED flashing (changing colour between white and red)
  8. Wait for the box to load after the installation.

Hello I did try this already and it had no change, but thank you for the suggestion.

I know it sounds a bit stupid asking!! Did you pull the wire out then in? Then hold the little button at the front in till you get a flashing red to White , there will be nothing on the screen for about 5 to 10 minutes!! please don't feel offended but it took me a few times to Flash!! Also try the USB 3 connection!!

Pull the wire out? I follow the same instructions that linesman66 posted.

No button at the front of mine as I have a H9S, thank you for your suggestion.

Hello I did try this already and it had no change, but thank you for the suggestion.
The only thing I can think of then is try different jsb stick no higher than 4gb make sure it is formatted fat 32 in Windows computer if poss!! sorry button at back, got h7s and h9s

The only thing I can think of then is try different jsb stick no higher than 4gb make sure it is formatted fat 32 in Windows computer if poss!! sorry button at back, got h7s and h9s

I have tried two different USB's, one is a Sandisk and the other Kingston, still the same. Also they are the same USB's I have always used to flash my zgemmas.

Very weird indeed!

Lucky me i dont have a zgemma but have used 8gb kingston ,cruzer and integral formatted to fat 32 on pc.Correct file downloaded and extracted to usb stick.Make sure no other usb stick is inserted
Insert into rear of box when powered off then on and see what it does.

Hello everyone,

I am having some crazy issues. I am not new to this so this has me stumped.

I am trying to flash my Zgemma H9s from openatv 6.2 to openatv 6.3, but it wont work with the multiple USB's I have used and yes I have formatted them correctly.
I then tried online flash and get a weird error it says "image to install is invalid" very weird, tried all three of the openatv 6.3 on the online flash and the same message came up. I also tried an online flash of 6.2 to see if that would work and again same error.

Then I tried to install Grogbuild freerange via the openwebif terminal and it said successful but when it rebooted Whooshbuild was still loading and all my settings were the same?

Then I thought F**K this and did a factory reset, but whooshbuild background image is still there?

Any help would be appreciated, as I have tried my best to fix it myself, but I am now out of ideas, need some serious expertise.

Hopefully hear back from some of you soon as the zgemma is on the verge of becoming a Frisbee.

Kind regards

Gavin

While I have been waiting for a reply I thought I would try and install whooshbuild again, just incase anything got corrupted. It installed successfully then I tried to flash online via the whooshbuild plugin and I get a blue error screen and the H9S crashes and reboots itself.

Trying everything I can, dont like to bother people and ask them for help, but I have tried and have come up with nothing.
Hi there i had lot probs today guy mailed me this i followed exact what he said and it worked.
Download Open Atv from here openATV Nightly Downloads unzip the file and put the Zgemma folder on a usb stick(formatted to fat32).. Plug it in the back usb port and power on the box. When it says USB press the power button on the front of box and it should say FLSH. Then follow onscreen instructions. On first screen if it's not in English just keep pressing red button until it shows English UK. I have flashed a couple of boxes yesterday with this image and it works fine. If it works ok then you can just add wooshbuild infinity later.

@zack I think you may have your boxes mixed up, the H9s has a slightly different way to start the flash process to the H2h you linked

Very weird indeed!
it's not weird at all, you simply need to low-level format the USB before giving it a fat32 format with Windows, If your USB has flashed a box before it should again it just needs a little more prep before the box will read from it, or as many do you could buy a new USB, fat32 format it, load files & flash

Been following the thread from the beginning!! I know it is a forum but all the replies seem to just copy what is already been said apart from force no force and willows utility!! The only thing I can think of differently is to try all the downloads not just the latest openatv, or if there has been a Flash expander installed sdcard then it should be reversed before flash, failing that use the guarantee if its still in it!!

Back