Channels take a long time to load - cause?

wigwam

Skybox F5s
I have been testing a few lines out before taking the plunge.
Noticed that on a couple of them (ironically 2 of the very best ones in terms of no glitching etc) it seems to take an absolute age for a channel to load up and I am stuck at a black screen for a while)
Once they load they are absolutely fine (and as above actually superb)
Doesn't seem to happen with other lines I have tried.

Any obvious cause for this and anything I need to tweak to get it sorted?

Hard wired.
I haven't checked ping times - but if that was an issue it should be across the board shouldn't it, not just with a particular line?

Fair point.
Both of these are UK servers (one highly recommended on here).
Turkish server had instant channel changes (but slight freezes)

ggrrr started to irritate me now.
Any clues? - I haven't messed about with any network settings or anything.

Right I have done more tests.
The time to switch freeview channels (BBC1-2) is 5s
The time to switch Sat channels is 14s

Ping test from router:
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 1.648/39.148/343.516 ms

Any help in narrowing this down?
Maybe I should have got to the bottom of this first before splurging on 3 lines!!

Which are the channels? ?? I will try my end and see if it is the channel.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

The time to switch Sat channels is 14s...

Wow. Just checked on my old S9 box. It takes just 2 seconds to switch between any 2 channels, scrambled or not.

What does your box show during that 14 seconds? Do you get a scrambled message, or just a blank screen?

Are you using the 7 day EPG firmware? I read that some users were experiencing long channel changes using that firmware.

The time to switch Sat channels is 14s

Ping test from router:
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 1.648/39.148/343.516 ms

Any help in narrowing this down?
Maybe I should have got to the bottom of this first before splurging on 3 lines!!

From the router to where?

sorry guys Multiquote doesn't seem to be working for me right now so I will answer all the questions above:

1) Wheelo I checked multiple freeview channels (BBC1/2, Ch4/CH5 etc) and they all take 5s to change; I checked multiple Sat channels (including various Sky Movies, Sky Sports 1/2, ZeeTV, Sky1) and they all take 14s to change.
Now that I think about it harder ZeeTV always took this long over the whole week I have had the box and any line I tried. The time for the other channels is new...

2) Kremmen I get a black screen for most of the time and occasionally I get the green "Scrambled" box in the middle of it.
Yes I have the 7 day EPG firmware - I flashed to this as soon as I got the box.
The USB stick is left connected to the box too (I understand this is required for the 7day EPG to work - although I don't need it on this box)

I have thought harder and harder abotu this and actually apart from ZeeTV as above I THINK the problem with the other channels started after I went into the settings and clicked up update EPG (on Monday). I had set auto-EPG to on but it still doesn't auto-update. I might try turning that setting to off and see if it improves anything (wish I had thought to do that last night when I was forced to update the EPG anyway as none was displaying!)

If turning auto-EPG to off doesn't do anything what is the fix for this firmware issue (given that I didn't have it for the first 4 days I had the box, with the same firmware throughout)?

3) Tiger800 I pinged from router to the IP address of the skybox

I didn't read the big post
5 secs to change from bbc1 to 2??? That's free view so nothing to do with a router or server. That's dish and lnb

How many out points on lnb? Test another one

I didn't read the big post
5 secs to change from bbc1 to 2??? That's free view so nothing to do with a router or server. That's dish and lnb

How many out points on lnb? Test another one

I tend to agree but the latency in those ping results is massive and something could be dragging it down

So - 1st off, take the UTP patch lead USB and everything else out of the box
Put ONLY the HDMI and sat feed back in and power it up again

Now test the switching between BBC1 and 2

It's a quad LNB and only other thing is the main sky box downstairs.
I will certainly try without the USB (although I take the point about BBC1 - but again even that is new since everything slowed down) and in fact will reformat as maybe the repeated pulling in and out of the box while testing multiple lines has caused some corruption.
I will also turn off auto-update of EPG - and will post back with the findings to this.

Right - update.
Removed the USB stick and BBC1/2 etc is now back to the normal speed ie 2s
The sly stuff is still 8-14s

I see there is a new firmware update after the 7 day EPG one so I will reformat my usb stick, update to this firmware and see

Reformatted USB stick to fat32, flashed to latest firmware.
As above sadly. Free channels nice and zippy, Sly ones slow (albeit a little quicker than before)

okay I have sorted this.
I deleted all the cccam lines (old ones - from tests), rebooted and it is back to normal

okay I have sorted this.
I deleted all the cccam lines (old ones - from tests), rebooted and it is back to normal

Sometimes things take a while, but they are worth sticking with. Well done Mate.

Back