charging the battery

dee

TK Veteran
Have`nt moved my car for about 6 weeks, thought i would take it out today, now this is the fun part car started after a couple of attemps woop i thought, the problems started when i got back home the key fob would lock the door but not open it made a whinning noise, so of to the local wilco`s to get a replacement battery for said fob, nope still doing it has the car battery gone kaput or could the alternator gone kaput, the battery does`nt seem to take a charge now. would a decent run out down the motorway help sort the problem or am i looking at replacing a, the battery or b, the alternator. any advice will be appreicated.

the car sounds like the battery is dead but then it will turn over and give me enough juice to start, its a rover 25 tdi diesel.

Last edited:
dee

first of all be careful with the radio because if you take out the battery and you don't havethe code, you will be back here looking for codes - more trouble

secondly it just sounds like the battery is completely dead, a battery pack or jump start will get you going and a good spin should charge the battery.
also most garages have a battery tester to tell if the cells are gone in the battery if it does not take a charge
if your alternator was going well before the car became idle i would'nt think there would betrouble there, hopefully.
hope this helps dee

i`l take apound to the garage in the morning first, think it needs a good old run out to get a decent charge but will have it looked at.

How old is the car dee?
Most batteries only last about 6 or 7 years, then the cells start to die inside the battery and they won't take or hold a charge after that.
Get it tested at the garage and take it from there, doubt it's your alternator if it was you would have a warning light coming on.

I agree with the lads, get it tested. The reason it has run down could be that you had the alarm on for the last 6 weeks, which will run the battery down, in which case a good run down the motorway is all you need, or borrow a battery charger.

when we bought Georges car battery was a bit iffy sometimes it would start and other times it would do nothing. someone told me it might be the alternator, but no warning lights came on. Decided to take it to a garage, rather than test the battery we opted for a new one at aprox £40 Corsa 1.2 sxi 52 plate. Car had been garaged for some time so battery just died. After new battery are works like a dream! we were told to charge battery car would have to run for at least an hr or so ( waste of petrol) so cheaper in the long run to get a new battery than keep testing and running car to see if it will charge!

Last edited:
battery is shot the other took it out last night, and to get it started we had to tow the car, jump leads did`nt touch it, got home switched it of and turned it over it was dead.

only way to know if radio still works or shows code meaning power interrupted its too late by then :faint:my second car battery goes flat bit like the tyre:idea:got a backup plan is a solar powered charger to trickle charge the battery so it does not go flat while sitting up.main problem is fag lighter is dead when key is removed from ignition so will wire another one connected to a fuse and battery for safety,some cars are now equipped with extra power points for running other devices.

im more worried about the battery, last time it was changed as part of an MOT if i rember correctly all the nut did when i went to change it was turn and turn and not come undone.:faint:

dee if your putting in the new battery yourself a garage or motor shop will sell you new lugs for the battery and a tip is to smear the connections on the new battery with a bit of vasoline,

no its kak,if your altenator is charging it you need to get a volt meter to be sure,if you altenator was gone as in not charging car would die while driving.good strong jump leads should get it going from another source.

i missed a trick car will start when towed, battery is half full only just dawned on me the fecking starter moter is not making the normal noise it should when its a flat battery.

Back