Cheap 5G Phone with tethering

Ferret.

Administrator
Staff member
Brother has a static caravan with good 5g reception on the site, his phone Iphone XR is obviously not 5g so hes looking for a cheap 5g phone with tethering to run a few items through :unsure:

He'd prefer been able to connect the phone to a standard router acting as a modem.

He would prefer not to subscribe to a Router 5g contract, his current sim is 5G with the right device.

Kind of out of my knowledge base on what phone is capable so would appreciate some options. Apparently not all phones will allow tethering. His sim does.

Last edited:
Just something to consider before buying... I have a oneplus 8t 5g, get speeds of over 300mbps on the Three 5g network in my house, but even when I put the phone so it's literally touching my Shield/Samsung tablet it'll say signal is not strong enough. I have no issues tethering to a Huawei tablet with the same setup though.

5g routers on ebay start from about £149.00 used, if that is an option. If his chip is on 3 or smarty then there are lots to choose. Only be careful as used huawei ones with 3 in the title are locked to 3 and there seems no way to change them.

4g or 4g plus is fine to tether to, no real need for 5g.

i find 5g to be patchy, not signal wise particularly but, i dunno, sometimes it struggles to open websites or streams even though it has a full signal.

as long as he has a decent 4g signal he will be fine to stream.

i find 5g to be patchy, not signal wise particularly but, i dunno, sometimes it struggles to open websites or streams even though it has a full signal.

I can confirm that one bar of 4g on my Android phone is enough to stream IPTV, even though I have to use a VPN as Vodafone block it otherwise.
I used it while fishing in France recently in the middle of nowhere

i can tether from ee and 3 from a personal point of view so can confirm that they work fine, at least for me :laughing:

a stable signal rather than speed is the main thing.

we had an unlimited connection in spain last week speed capped at 3meg. it was pretty much enough for non 4k vod but utterly useless for live tv.

But he has a 5g unlimited sim he can use ! 4G on the site is poor 5G is not

Why doesn't he just upgrade his phone to iPhone 12 that supports 5g how many times would the cheap android phone actually get used.
I agree with lamb lamb 5g is hit and miss I’ve had the exact same issue lamb has described.

Why not just answer the question ferret is asking guys its plain enough (Cheap 5G android phone) to tether :whistle:
Right now, the best cheap 5G phone is the Samsung Galaxy A53 5G based on our analysis of display, performance, battery life, and price. The device offers one of the best display experiences you can get from sub-$450 phones and offers 5G support with most major carriers. Cheap 5G phonePriceDisplayCamerasBatterySamsung Galaxy A53 5G$4496.5-inch 120Hz AMOLED64MP wide, 12MP ultra-wide, 5MP depth, 5MP macro, 32MP front5,000mAhApple iPhone SE (2022)$4494.7-inch 60Hz LCD12MP wide, 7MP front2,018mAhGoogle Pixel 6a$4496.1-inch 60Hz OLED12MP wide, 12MP ultra-wide, 8MP front4,410mAhOnePlus Nord N20 5G$2996.43-inch 60Hz AMOLED64MP wide, 2MP macro, 2MP depth, 16MP front4,500mAhSamsung Galaxy A13$2496.5-inch 90Hz LCD50MP wide, 2MP macro, 2MP depth, 5MP front5,000mAhMotorola One 5G Ace$2996.7-inch 90Hz LCD48MP wide, 8MP ultra-wide, 2MP macro, 16MP front5,000mAh

Also have a look here The best cheap 5G phone 2022

Why doesn't he just upgrade his phone to iPhone 12 that supports 5g how many times would the cheap android phone actually get used.
I agree with lamb lamb 5g is hit and miss I’ve had the exact same issue lamb has described.
Because hes tight mate.

And 4g is not really an option on that site.

Right now, the best cheap 5G phone is the Samsung Galaxy A53 5G based on our analysis of display, performance, battery life, and price. The device offers one of the best display experiences you can get from sub-$450 phones and offers 5G support with most major carriers. Cheap 5G phonePriceDisplayCamerasBatterySamsung Galaxy A53 5G$4496.5-inch 120Hz AMOLED64MP wide, 12MP ultra-wide, 5MP depth, 5MP macro, 32MP front5,000mAhApple iPhone SE (2022)$4494.7-inch 60Hz LCD12MP wide, 7MP front2,018mAhGoogle Pixel 6a$4496.1-inch 60Hz OLED12MP wide, 12MP ultra-wide, 8MP front4,410mAhOnePlus Nord N20 5G$2996.43-inch 60Hz AMOLED64MP wide, 2MP macro, 2MP depth, 16MP front4,500mAhSamsung Galaxy A13$2496.5-inch 90Hz LCD50MP wide, 2MP macro, 2MP depth, 5MP front5,000mAhMotorola One 5G Ace$2996.7-inch 90Hz LCD48MP wide, 8MP ultra-wide, 2MP macro, 16MP front5,000mAh

Also have a look here The best cheap 5G phone 2022
Your cheap and his are worlds apart bud :LOL:

Brother has a static caravan with good 5g reception on the site, his phone Iphone XR is obviously not 5g so hes looking for a cheap 5g phone with tethering to run a few items through :unsure:

He'd prefer been able to connect the phone to a standard router acting as a modem.

He would prefer not to subscribe to a Router 5g contract, his current sim is 5G with the right device.

Kind of out of my knowledge base on what phone is capable so would appreciate some options. Apparently not all phones will allow tethering. His sim does.
Have a look at these mate...

OPPO A54s Smartphone, 5000mAh Long-Lasting Battery, RAM 4GB + ROM 128GB expandable, 6.52” 60HZ Display, AI Triple Camera 50+2+2 MP, NFC, ColorOS11.1, [UK Version], Black https://amzn.eu/d/4DBX956

Back