cheap satellite receiver for the spare room

karllap

I'm after a cheap satellite receiver that gets used occasional in the spare room. IDeally would like to be able to record but not essential.
I already have a subscription so will need to be able to put my cccam on it

I live in the North West near Warrington if there is anyone local

is it single or dual feed into the spare room? the openbox is cheap at around £35-40 but don't expect frills - simple to set up though and only needs single lnb feed

the zgemma is twice as expensive but you get more for your money, lots more to play with, but if its only for occasional tv is it worth the extra? comes with dual lnb feed or single

I have both and am no expert on any boxes, but if I can set them up then anyone can!

Thanks for the info, a single will do to be honest.
I actually have an optibox spider but I can't get my cccam to work and can't find much help on the net so probably easier to just buy cheap box.
Can you add a HD to an openbox?

if you have your line in one box it may not work on the other box unless your provider allows it. I have 2 boxes and had to pay a little extra for the other line

but if he only has one box working then its not normally an issue and as he says his optibox isn't working! re HD I think some of the channels are HD but not all of them. it really is a simple and cheap bpx, no add ons and no frills, so if you want to play with it, it might be worth spending a bit extra

Sorry for the confusion, I meant hard disk when I said HD.
I'm not bothered about messing about with it at all to be honest, I just want to be able to turn it on and watch it (mainly BT Sports to be honest) and if possible record on the few occasions that I won;t be in at the time when its on. However this isn't a deal maker but would be nice.

I was looking at a Tecnomate 5204, would this fit the bill?

In regards to the lines, I do have a mutiroom subscription.

Last edited:
sorry, I don't know much about any box to be honest, only what ive read, but I found that wos are very helpful when discussing 'needs' though I don't think the sell zgemmas, which prob would meet your needs, get in touch with them, I am sure they will have what you want

I do know you can record on the openbox though, but you cant watch one thing and record another

Stick with zgemma mate. Much more support on these from openatv

However if you have a spiderbox then post up your problem.

Last edited:
technomate tm nano se a very fast powerful single tuner box that can run vix image and can use external hdd+ small box with free magic eye

Back