Chromebook v Laptop

dt99

TK Veteran
Does anyone use a Chromebook? Are they any good, is it a potential replacement for a laptop?

I only use my laptop for general internet, e-mails, office. I also transfer photos from my camera/phone and then back them up onto an external HDD.

I can get a Chromebook for under £200, a half decent laptop is double that amount.

Opinions on Chromebooks welcomed. I don't want a tablet, I need a bigger screen.

I had a chrome book a while back and couldn't get my head round it. Check Tesco outlet on ebay for laptops around £200

Everything

Oh ok, I see. I have been having a read through about them and I think I will bite the bullet and get one, sounds like they will do what I want them to do. I'm technically minded anyway, so I should have no problems, thanks for your input though.

Agreed mate, not very feckin useful, was it?

Did you go ahead with purchase? How did you find it ? Does it do all you need it to do?

Not got one yet, I'm waiting to see what offers are in the Xmas sales. I'm still leaning towards a chromebook though.

The 1 thing I have found that they can't do is install Itunes so my wife can't add music to her Ipod via a chromebook, so this is the 1 thing that may put me off. Apart from that it seems to offer everything a laptop can for half the price.

Last edited:
From previous research, all that was missing was a CD/DVD drive, but that was a few years ago.
The main benefit for me was the size/weight benefit for travelling with my diving camera.
I dont know, but maybe @Gman496 might have some expertise in this area, as he usually knows all the cool toys.
I'm almost at the point of replacing my laptop, so I'd like some opinions too, if anyone has any.

From previous research, all that was missing was a CD/DVD drive, but that was a few years ago.
The main benefit for me was the size/weight benefit for travelling with my diving camera.
I dont know, but maybe @Gman496 might have some expertise in this area, as he usually knows all the cool toys.
I'm almost at the point of replacing my laptop, so I'd like some opinions too, if anyone has any.

Most laptops are now going without the CD/DVD Drive. Makes them slimmer an slightly less weighty.
Been looking myself for a new laptop for Mrs and still unsure what to get.
Trying to future proof a bit and getting something a little bit more expensive so not having to replace too soon?
Will watch thread with anticipation for some good answers coming in. price am not too fussed with, Will be anything from around £300-£700

I'd be more on your wavelength regarding price christara, but i don't think there is much future proofing anymore, i think we are close enough to the top of the hill with laptops abilities, it is the peripherals that are getting better now - amazon dot, smart plugs, switches, controlling heat/ lighting of our homes remotely, answering our doorbells, and other security related things remotely.

I still kinda like windows systems, so a netbook is probably the one for me.

I think the average person only needs about 4GB ram, plus a 100Gb HDD, a processor with a speed or 1.6hz - but the manufacturers insist on giving more (1/2 TB HDD, quad/octo core processors, etc).

Without looking at the video Dave - your words are spot on - it depends on what it is to be used for.

Another thing to watch out for is that most Chrome OS Systems are now Supporting Android Apps. A lot of the older ones have or will be upgraded so make sure the one you purchase is capable. (Allows you to put all your favorite Play Store Apps on).

You can check models HERE:

i like the intel core range like the i3,i5 or i7,i picked up an hp intel i5 8th gen for 400 from currys in january,I like windows myself and most windows pcs can be used to run other OS with emulaters

I don't see there been much difference between mac books and laptops tbh It depends on what it's used for really if for work then you would probably need a high end spec one capable of running many tasks needed if it's just for streaming and browsing then don't need nothing major for example I have a 23 inch all in one pc touch screen tablet mode on it 4gig ram 1tb hdd paid nearly a thousand for it that's work and pleasure then paid £350 for a laptop got 4gig ram 30gig hdd laptop is for streaming storing videos ect no CD drive if for taking on the go go something slim and not bulky would be better

Last edited:
In the end I decided that a Chromebook was not for me, there were too many restrictions on what it could do and I can't be bothered with the endless questions from the wife and kids about how to do things as it's not Windows. Average price of a basic laptop with an I3 was about £400, so in the end I have just replaced the battery on my existing laptop, I'm replacing the HDD with an SSD and it's all cost under £80. No point in buying a new laptop I suppose when new parts should be just as good.

In the end I decided that a Chromebook was not for me, there were too many restrictions on what it could do and I can't be bothered with the endless questions from the wife and kids about how to do things as it's not Windows. Average price of a basic laptop with an I3 was about £400, so in the end I have just replaced the battery on my existing laptop, I'm replacing the HDD with an SSD and it's all cost under £80. No point in buying a new laptop I suppose when new parts should be just as good.
Thats a mistake we all make instead of checking price for new parts we presume we need to go straight buy new up until we realise how much can be saved by replacing parts

Proper happy for your decision, Probably 9/10 times it will fall back to ourselves to sort the problem out when one arises on a new machine so no point in making hard work for ourselves. :)

Back