cleaning olds files hdd

celticfc

TK Veteran
Hope im in right section ?

is there a program/ plugin for cleaning old obselete files from hdd/movies off of internal hdd on wooshbuild, when i use "Movie Browser" and goto series i see a load of old files that i deleted but they are still remnants of the old files
cheers

Not used that but is it something like every episode of say eastenders in a folder Eastenders and have you deleted each one in turn to decrease the list and when empty delete the folder.Then empty the trash.

Not used that but is it something like every episode of say eastenders in a folder Eastenders and have you deleted each one in turn to decrease the list and when empty delete the folder.Then empty the trash.

ye ive deleted all old files i dont need , ie old movies/series and trashcan using " planner" but files still show up in "Movie browser" when i use series,
but i thought there might be a plugin / tools to clean drive up when using wooshbuild

cheers

nae probs. m8. its not a problem for me i was just curious why the old files dont delete for good , i think it must be something to do with movie browser plugin as if i look at hdd/movies using filezilla there not there.
cheers anyway m8

You can use a script from putty.
I use the following on a cron timer to delete episodes of The Chase and Coronation Street that are more than 14 days old.
This gets rid of the orphans as well.

#!/bin/sh
find "/media/net/TV/Coronation Street/" -type f -mtime +14 -exec rm {} \;
find "/media/net/TV/The Chase/" -type f -mtime +14 -exec rm {} \;

Obviously you would need to change the folder path.

I use the following on a cron timer to delete episodes of The Chase and Coronation Street that are more than 14 days old.

#!/bin/sh

cheers for that Willo3092. would i have to change the path for each orphaned entry

I have all my series in folders so the path relates to the folder.
If you have everything in /media/hdd/movies/ it will delete everything that is over 2 weeks old.

If you're not sure what you are doing I would err on the side of caution and do things manually.

I have all my series in folders so the path relates to the folder.
If you have everything in /media/hdd/movies/ it will delete everything that is over 2 weeks old.

If you're not sure what you are doing I would err on the side of caution and do things manually.

will have a read and check it out i do have old movies on hdd so might have to do it manually.
thanx for your help m8
cheers

#!/bin/sh

That's a take on the rm -rf command
You can use rm -rf manually, but you need to be very careful you don't delete stuff you want to keep

good script btw

That's a take on the rm -rf command
You can use rm -rf manually, but you need to be very careful you don't delete stuff you want to keep

good script btw
the trouble with rm -rf is that it deletes everything no questions asked, the script @Willo3092 uses is only deleting files over 14 days old, less chance of upsetting the other half when you've deleted last nights Corro before she has watched it.

the trouble with rm -rf is that it deletes everything no questions asked, the script @Willo3092 uses is only deleting files over 14 days old, less chance of upsetting the other half when you've deleted last nights Corro before she has watched it.
rm -rf only deletes what you tell it to.
The problem is knowing what to tell it to delete,
That's why I said nice script by @Willo3092

rm -rf only deletes what you tell it to.
The problem is knowing what to tell it to delete,
That's why I said nice script by @Willo3092
yea, but if using -rf options then chances are you are using a wildcard, ie you wouldn't do rm -rf /media/hdd/movie/nameofrecording.ts as the -rf options are not then required. You would use -rf if using wildcards rm -rf /media/hdd/movie/nameofrecording.* which is then dangerous especially if you dont want to annoy the boss

Back