CMOS Battery Issue (PC)...

dan-ger-ous

VIP Member
I seem to have run into a small problem so thought i would discuss it here. :). I'm facing an issue that i had to previously deal with. When i turned my PC on last night, as soon as it booted up, i recieved the following error:

Code:
http://i26.tinypic.com/ofzo74.jpg

I can either proceed or press F1 and it will take me to the BIOS settings so i can fiddle around with it. I have had the problem before, opened my case and tried to remove the battery, i was really careful, and still could not take it out. I managed to have found some pictures which i took when the problem first occured:

Code:
http://i25.tinypic.com/2mn24xd.jpg
Code:
http://i28.tinypic.com/6h51k2.jpg

It really is beginning to get a little annoying, it happens abit more regularly this time around. Due to the battery, my time and date is changed so i then have to correct that if i want to log in succesfully to MSN Messenger. I then get my antivirus confused with the dates as it keeps pestering me that my virus database is out of date, last succesful update: 1/12/2003. :confused:. Then when accessing Facebook, firefox gives me some invalid certificate issues.

I really do now know what to do, the battery isnt powerful enough to keep hold of the bios settings anymore, and it seems as though i cant remove the battery from the motherboard. What can i do?
(Just to add, i have a ECS m848a motherboard).

Thanks,
dan-ger-ous

Last edited:
dan i cant see very well in that pic but they are very easy to change with a small s driver you can go to one side of bat and flip it out then put the new batt in goes in one side first and press down there is a little spring on one side i cant see it in pic or you could just leave your m/c pluged in and on all the time

dont take out batt till you have a new one to put in

Last edited:
dan i cant see very well in that pic but they are very easy to change with a small s driver you can go to one side of bat and flip it out then put the new batt in goes in one side first and press down there is a little spring on one side i cant see it in pick or you could just leave your m/c pluged in and on all the time

Cheers, i'll have a quick look at the battery and then buy one from the shop. Hopefully i can get the old one out and the new one in without to much difficulty.

does the pc remain switched of for long periods of time?

it may be just losing its charge, try leaving the pc switched on for a few hours and reboot to see if this fixes the problem, battery looks as if it will slip out ok but write down your cmos values before removing it

does the pc remain switched of for long periods of time?

it may be just losing its charge, try leaving the pc switched on for a few hours and reboot to see if this fixes the problem, battery looks as if it will slip out ok but write down your cmos values before removing it

Hmmm my PC would normally be on during the day, and turned off whilst im asleep, that would be a good 10 hours. I tried removing it, but it just wont budge, and it looks like the whole compartment that holds the cmos battery is going to come loose. So im going to get it checked at 2:00 and see if i can get it sorted then.I checked the bios a few minutes ago before disconnecting the PC's periperhals, and the values seem to have been setted back to default.

Last edited:
hmm i dont think it would be really clear, my uncle did say that he's going to have it checked at 2:00 from the place i bought it from 4 years ago. lol. Its like a semi oval shape towards the back of the compartment, and towards the front there are two straight pieces of plastic that the front of the battery sits on. If i pull them down with two fingers I still cant get the battery to come out, and the compartment starts to move slightly, dont want it breaking from the motherboard. :fear:

you battery should not go after 4 years unless it not been used for long period of time

During my last year of school and first year of College, i had lived in a rental house with my parents because our own house was having a kitchen extension and attic built. We were away for about 5 months and the computer was not in use during that time. I came back in May/April. :grin:

I'll have it checked and see what he says, right now its time for some chicken pasta :grin:. Thank you all for the help once again, greatly appreciated. :)

So i am back from the repair centre, the battery is replaced and its working fine now. The way the tech took the battery out, he was careful, but he had to quite abit of force to pull it out, it wasnt something i'd do anyway, wouldn't have the guts to pull it out with that much force and risk messing up the motherboard. Now my final question is, what can be done so that i can get the longest use out of this battery? Any Tips?

Last edited:
I think it means mains cable??

Silly me lol, yeah that makes more sense :), the main cable which goes to the tower is always in, all my peripherals are connected to a surge protector extension. Then from their i've got a special plug that protects against electric shocks and other hazards. Hmm i do tend to use the computer alot, and i'm not moving anywhere or going away for a long time so i should be in good hands. Thank you all :)

you should be its very rare to to have probs with the battery unless the computer is left unused for a long time dan so id say your good to go

Back