Comp Went Down

rtm27

VIP Member
I returned home from work last night to find that my desktop went down. The power light was still on, as well as the fan on the motherboard. The power supply unit was cold, but had a burning smell coming from it. I'm guessing it's the PSU, but just want to make sure.

do you have a multi meter if you have you can check the voltage outputs there not realy any outhe way to check it outhe than pu t one in that you know is working

With the burnt smell, I would almost guarantee its the PSU. Be sure to try and get a good quality one when you replace it. Corsair are good and reasonably priced.

Thanks for all who advised me, and I'm glad to say I got a 400 Watt PSU made by Ultra friday. As soon as I installed it and had all the connectors in place, it started right up. It took about a minute for the windows logo to appear, the screen flickered a couple times, dimmed then brightened, and then the colors brightened up.....and it all seems good for now. Also, it's very quiet too.

I wonder what he was running before? The reason I ask is because typically the psu in my past experiences have gone out due to two things:

#1 - Age
#2 - Over Working Itself Because It Has Too Little Power

Comp less than 2yrs old, was running a 250 Watt. More than likely I overworked it. I thought I asked for a 350 when I had it built, but it said 250 on the side.

I believe that the majority of box systems come with a PSU in the range of 250 watts, which for basic use should be fine. Its the quality of those units that tends to be the problem, either providing unstable power or just crapping out. Unless he goes wild, his new 400 watt should cover him for a long time.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

Ahh, I see that Ray already answered that question.

*shudders*
No way, I turned that off after the last episode of which I no longer wish to discuss. Still having nightmares.

I meant unless you cram a huge video card and/or lots of other accessories in there.

You should be more than fine, I think that only pulls around 25 to 40 watts depending upon model.
Here is a little more info if you are interested: LINK

Back