Confused.com

SafUk

All, Thanks in advance for what you are about to read, and sorry in advance for the Aspirin you will need afterwards.

Here i go, Currently a Sky customer, moving house in 2 weeks, new house doesnt have a dish installed but had some old cable connection.
I dont want to be robbed by sky anymore and have been told i can get some box which connects to my router to get channels.

So i have lots of questions on the very very first steps of setting something like this up, like:

Currently i have a Sky+ HD box. Can i do anything with it or will it need a satelite dish to work?
If i need another box? what box will work through an internet connection?

Can anybody point me to some sort of "all you need to know" guide on the diff types of systems available, e.g Satelite Dish types vs getting channels through the Internet.

Once i know the basics then ill look into all this other french ive been reading (ccline, gifts, cccam, dreamboxes, eurovoxes, blades, and so so so much more!)

Cheers for any info guys.

You need a sat box.

Read the sticky's at the top of each section, they are tutorials
on how to set up the boxes like this one here.

If your new maybe start with a SKybox F3 or F5 or if you have got
a few more bob maybe a Blade BM7000.

You need a sat dish. Zone 2 skydish will be fine.

You need an internet feed between the router and the sat box.

This can be done by Ethernet or by using a pair of homeplugs.

WiFi dongles can be a bit hit and miss so I would use one of the above to connect.

You need a sever, you can post a request here

If you are going down this route just buy a HDD for the box so that you can record and bin the Sky+ box.

You could also have a look here

Last edited:
You need a sat box.

Read the sticky's at the top of each section, they are tutorials
on how to set up the boxes like this one here.

If your new maybe start with a SKybox F3 or F5 or if you have got
a few more bob maybe a Blade BM7000.

You need a sat dish. Zone 2 skydish will be fine.

You need an internet feed between the router and the sat box.

This can be done by Ethernet or by using a pair of homeplugs.

WiFi dongles can be a bit hit and miss so I would use one of the above to connect.

You need a sever, you can post a request here

If you are going down this route just buy a HDD for the box so that you can record and bin the Sky+ box.

What an excellent reply! Cheers. Ill take a look at freesat boxes then.

Couple more things, Can i just pull off the sat dish from my old house and install at new house?
Why would i need an ethernet connection if i will be using the satelite dish?

Here i go, Currently a Sky customer, moving house in 2 weeks, new house doesnt have a dish installed but had some old cable connection.
I dont want to be robbed by sky anymore and have been told i can get some box which connects to my router to get channels.

I thought you realised these are a bit more than a freesat box :whistling:

If you wanted to put up your old sky dish that should work too

I thought you realised these are a bit more than a freesat box :whistling:

If you wanted to put up your old sky dish that should work too

yeah sorry, i didnt mean freesat, i meant Sat box like you said.

p.s, what should i be looking to pay for one? seen some on the popular auction website just now ranging from £40 to £150 for an F3, There are also F3 HD, F3S and some F3 HD+ 3D!! Dont need the 3D so which is better? F3 HD or F3S? lol

The "S" version is just a later version of the F3 & F5, F3 slightly older, F5 smaller neater, they are all basically the
same in different wrappers.

Single Tuner Box, HD , PVR (if you connect a HDD) Now and Next only on the EPG.

3-D is down to your server, not the box. £40 - £60 probably, you may be
better going to a reputable supplier as there seems to be plenty of clone boxes
of this type coming out. Pay for a genuine box.

Don't buy one with a gift, post a request in the thread I mentioned above.

Last edited:
yip, get yourself a dish fitted, read up on the boxes, plenty info on here, chose your box, find where to get the line, again plenty info on here,
and you are all set to go, happy reading, and good luck :p

Awesome. Feels like im getting somewhere now. :p

Any suggested reputable sellers for the box? so many links come up in google! rather go to one you guys have tried and tested.

---------- Post Merged at 01:45 PM ----------

yip, get yourself a dish fitted, read up on the boxes, plenty info on here, chose your box, find where to get the line, again plenty info on here,
and you are all set to go, happy reading, and good luck :p

So what are N line and C line and CCcam?

N line or C line is the bit of code a server sends you to make your box work properly.

Look at the last two links in post 2 of this thread.

CCcam is the protocol (basically the language) the box uses to run a C line

Newcamd is the protocol the box uses to run an N line

Don't forget that your old $ly+ HD box can still be used for the FTA channels (& FTV channels if you still have your card). The PVR functions will be disabled when you stop subscribing, so you won't be able to record or play though.

and if you get a skybox you may have all the faults that go with it,start reading and you did say house has a cable feed is it live from vm if so then a kryptview780,plug the cable into tv and see if you get anything.

Do different boxes handles diff lines? Or can any bix handle c line and n line? Whats the diff in both, is one better than the other?

---------- Post Merged at 09:32 PM ----------

and if you get a skybox you may have all the faults that go with it,start reading and you did say house has a cable feed is it live from vm if so then a kryptview780,plug the cable into tv and see if you get anything.

I dont think it will be live, ill have to check once i move the tv over to the new house, but thanks for sharing.

Most boxes will handle both types of line, if you get a line and move house
your line should still work.

N lines are generally considered to be a bit better these days.

As you may have guessed cactikid doesn't rate F boxes, he is more of a sat connoisseur and knows his way around
alot of boxes and I must admit clone F boxes especially, seem to cause more and more problems.

Simple answer is you get what what pay for with sat boxes.

Last edited:
Most boxes will handle both types of line, if you get a line and move house
your line should still work.

N lines are generally considered to be a bit better these days.

As you may have guessed cactikid doesn't rate F boxes, he is more of a sat connoisseur and knows his way around
alot of boxes and I must admit clone F boxes especially, seem to cause more and more problems.

Simple answer is you get what what pay for with sat boxes.

Thanks dude

Ok cool. I just read that the F3 and F5 dont tell you what programs are on now and next, is this the "EPG"? i always thought the line would hold that information and it wouldnt be dependant on the type of box but i was wrong.

So guys can anybody recommend a decent box please?
Requirements:
-display the EPG,
-be as easy to setup as an F3/5,
-ability to record to hdd (internal or external, not fussed)
-max budget is £70 for my first box.

Also if you can recommended seller i would be gratefull, where i will be getting a genuine box and not a chinese copy!

Thanks guys.
This forum is awesome!

Thanks dude

Ok cool. I just read that the F3 and F5 dont tell you what programs are on now and next, is this the "EPG"? i always thought the line would hold that information and it wouldnt be dependant on the type of box but i was wrong.

So guys can anybody recommend a decent box please?
Requirements:
-display the EPG,
-be as easy to setup as an F3/5,
-ability to record to hdd (internal or external, not fussed)
-max budget is £70 for my first box.

Also if you can recommended seller i would be gratefull, where i will be getting a genuine box and not a chinese copy!

Thanks guys.
This forum is awesome!
I'm afraid that you won't get all that for £70. However, there is a seller on Ebay selling used Technomate 5402HD for £80 + £7 p&p. Looks like he has a lot of them.

These will give full EPG &, I think, are fairly easy to set up as they are closed source. I am thinking of getting one myself.

TECHNOMATE 5402HD CI | eBay

Edit...just had a look in the Technomate section. It's like a ghost town in there! LOL.

Either everyone is happy with their boxes, or very few people own one!

Last edited:
Blade BM7000 Next box up, 7 day EPG (program guide)
About £150, easy to set up like the F type boxes, add a HDD
for PVR (recording) function.
Good quality boxes, worth the extra if you can afford it.

Blade BM7000 Next box up, 7 day EPG (program guide)
About £150, easy to set up like the F type boxes, add a HDD
for PVR (recording) function.
Good quality boxes, worth the extra if you can afford it.

£150 is a bit pricey for me yet, budget is low as moving house. Ill just have to settle for the F5 then.

Ive been put intouch with a dude who is offering me a line for £60/year. Is that average? infact he said he provides 2 lines, its reliable and no scrambles or stutters.

Back