Windows 7 Contemplating Windows 7 upgrade on my PC?

dan-ger-ous

VIP Member
Hi,

So I have a PC that is pretty old now, probably around 5-6 years old. I'm not looking to purchase a new one just yet so was wondering whether it would be suitable to upgrade my current Windows XP OS to Windows 7.

PC Specs:

Motherboard: ECS M848A
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+ 1.50Ghz
RAM: 1.25GB Ram (1GB + 256MB stick)
HDD: 75GB (Maxtor 6Y080L0)

Now, I've run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor, its advised that I install the 32bit OS (I knew that already just saying). It won't support the Windows Aero feature but I suppose I can live without that. Ethernet adapter needs newer drivers (gives me a link to download them, very nice piece of software this is). All other devices including printer are listed as compatible.

I don't want my PC working overdrive to keep up with Windows 7. I don't plan on upgrading any hardware component either in the future. I know they say if its not broken then don't fix it, which is why I'm in two minds of whether I should upgrade or not.

What do you think?

Last edited:
it should run just fine dan.i would bump the ram to 2 gigs.on an older machine like that there is some tweaking to do,mainly disable some of the visual effects.i put 7 on an old celeron d and it actually ran a little faster than xp. i take it that yours is also a single core processor?

it should run just fine dan.i would bump the ram to 2 gigs.on an older machine like that there is some tweaking to do,mainly disable some of the visual effects.i put 7 on an old celeron d and it actually ran a little faster than xp. i take it that yours is also a single core processor?

Yes its a single core processor aldan. The thing is it only has two RAM sockets, so if I buy another RAM stick the 256MB ram would be out of use.

Bottom line is that I'm not looking to upgrade anything, so if I can get Windows 7 with the current spec then thats awesome and if I can't without any significant performance issues then I'll stick to good old XP. :)

If that was my system dan, I would just stick with XP. XP works great and I am sure you already know it like the back of your hand anyway. XP and Win7 play together pretty well for when you get your new system and it is always nice to have access to something a little different on occasion. What is the point in changing the OS if you will have to disable many of the features that make it stand out?

If that was my system dan, I would just stick with XP. XP works great and I am sure you already know it like the back of your hand anyway. XP and Win7 play together pretty well for when you get your new system and it is always nice to have access to something a little different on occasion. What is the point in changing the OS if you will have to disable many of the features that make it stand out?

Good point ferg. I wasn't too keen taking on Windows 7 if it meant restricting some of the features. Was just giving it a thought earlier on during the day and figured I should get a second opinion. :)

I decided to stick with XP.

stick with XP Dan - if it does the job for you then keep it the same - going to Windows 7 could cause issues, just saying.. Leave it as it is - it's fine - if it does the job for you :) no point losing sleep over it lol

Upgrade Dan,i have done a lot of older comps upto 7 and all are working great even with the older processors,dont get me wrong xp was and is a great os but as microsoft are reportedly leaving it behind in 2013 time to jump to the new era,i find 7 as good and better than xp and the compatibillity mode which still allows running of all xp software is very good

even with the ram you have wn 7 will run better than xp.the tweaks are easy and all over the net.hey dan,i kept my xp disk too.any questions just ask.cheers.

Upgrade Dan,i have done a lot of older comps upto 7 and all are working great even with the older processors,dont get me wrong xp was and is a great os but as microsoft are reportedly leaving it behind in 2013 time to jump to the new era,i find 7 as good and better than xp and the compatibillity mode which still allows running of all xp software is very good

Cheers sinnno. In that case I think I will upgrade to Windows 7 when Microsoft drop XP altogether, don't want to have XP then knowing their is going to be no support for it. I guess I have one more year to go. lol

Update: It appears as though the support for XP has been extended until the end of 2014.

Last edited:
even with the ram you have wn 7 will run better than xp.the tweaks are easy and all over the net.hey dan,i kept my xp disk too.any questions just ask.cheers.

I will have a look at those now, thank you. :)

Eventually I think I will upgrade, but probably not right now, XP is doing the job for me.

Back