Correct way of removing usb key

There are ways of sending recordings from hdd to view on pc by having samba enabled on both,i dont use a pc but many boxes are linked and recordings can be seen in any room then.
Possibly a mounted usb is in ext 3 ext 4 and wont be seen on pc as its wrong format and a usb with movies downloaded are fat 32 and would need a media player plugin to play?

I thank all those who tried to help with their advice.
I've been a somehow "advanced PC user" for more than 30 years now and and I've gradually learned to stay away from unnecessary risks, especially when they are easily avoidable.
I well know that most times usb keys can be removed at any moment without risking serious damages (unless you consider a serious damage the loss of a few files), but I also know that the best, the most safe and correct way to proceed starts from... "asking" who is in charge (the running OS).
Not surprisingly both Windows and Linux, in their PC versions, provide easily reachable menu commands aimed at that purpose, which make sure that any running I/O operation (background ones included!) get closed before the removal.
I find it very hard to believe that the developers of the Enigma2 system did not think about a way to explicitly "umount" the usb device in order to safely remove it; that would be quite distant from the traditional care for data protection that characterizes all Unix-type systems.
I'm not saying, anyway, you must absolutely use those commands; I'm only saying I like to use them. Maybe I'm wrong, but my head works like that. :)

Back to the starting point, I use the H5 front usb port to... feed video files to the self-powered usb hard disk (almost) permanently plugged in the back, which is obviously far less comfortable to disconnect and bring to the computer (my H5 is not connected to the network). That's why I often connect the usb key, copy files from it to the hdd and then remove it.
I obviously know that I can wait and remove the key when the H5 is off (deep standby). Actually I'm doing just that, but it's surely not the most convenient way to go, is it? :]
Besides, my... technical mindedness pushes me to always look for an answer, an explanation, a "proper way" of doing things (at least the material, technical ones!!).
So now and then I'm still looking around, in OpenATV menus, searching for what I think must be somewhere... :)

There is definitely an unmount option in OpenVix,
I don't use Atv so can't comment on that.

Mount Manager in Menu > Info Panel > Plugins should give an unmount option.

There are ways of sending recordings from hdd to view on pc by having samba enabled on both,i dont use a pc but many boxes are linked and recordings can be seen in any room then.
Possibly a mounted usb is in ext 3 ext 4 and wont be seen on pc as its wrong format and a usb with movies downloaded are fat 32 and would need a media player plugin to play?

Absolutely agree, a shared drive from PC or NAS is the best option and you can copy and delete movies from your PC.

There are ways of sending recordings from hdd to view on pc by having samba enabled on both,i dont use a pc but many boxes are linked and recordings can be seen in any room then. Possibly a mounted usb is in ext 3 ext 4 and wont be seen on pc as its wrong format and a usb with movies downloaded are fat 32 and would need a media player plugin to play?

I have no doubt about that. I'm aware of samba, sharing, different file systems and all that.
However my H5 is not connected to the network, so I can't take advantage of those possibilities.
When I need to transfer a few files from the H5's usb hdd to my PC (or vice versa) I can only physically move the hard disk or, more simply and conveniently, leave the hard disk alone and connect an usb key to the front usb port of the unit.

Like is it in a house with no internet or just not connected as in an away place,sometimes people can use homeplugs for getting lan to run through electrical wiring in home to connect to many things.

Question for others do homeplugs need a broadband provider to work as if your in the middle of country no internet and want to move things from A to B ?

Like is it in a house with no internet or just not connected as in an away place,sometimes people can use homeplugs for getting lan to run through electrical wiring in home to connect to many things.

Question for others do homeplugs need a broadband provider to work as if your in the middle of country no internet and want to move things from A to B ?
Should imagine they do as don't the files transfer over broadband as 1 light is for power and another to say they are synced together and other for broadband apart from file transfer via USB from 1 device to another

All my stuff is hard wired so not got homeplugs but as I understand it the homeplugs connect equipment to the lan so you should have connectivity between boxes.
The router connects the lan to the internet.

When I said "not connected to the network" I meant the H5 is non connected to any network, LAN or Internet or whatsoever.
I actually do have a home local network and also a Internet connection (which I'm using right now), but the H5 is not connected. At the moment, the easiest ways for me to move files between the H5 and my computer are the ones I described.

Anyway, all this has little to do with my initial technical question... :)
I obviously understand that in a forum a discussion can start from one topic and then spontaneously move to others, based on the things that are said and the interests of the involved people. I think it is a quite normal thing (it almost always happens when we talk in real life), even if often in web forums it gets "scolded" because of some kind of... OT syndrome, which in fact, when not exaggerated, has its raison d'etre.
However, as far as I am concerned, I know there are many different ways to provide LAN connections between devices inside a house, but I opened this thread for another reason.

Back