Decorah Eagle Nest Cam 2019

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
Hi all,
I'm not sure if anyone remembers the old thread about this subject, but maybe it's time to start a new one.

About the Eagles
The Decorah eagles are nesting near the Decorah Trout Hatchery, located at 2325 Siewers Spring Rd in Decorah, IA. The female is known as Mom and the male is known as DM2 (for the second Decorah male eagle). In general, they begin courtship in October, productive mating in late January or early February, and egg-laying in mid to late February. Hatching usually begins in late March to early April, and the eaglets fledge in mid-to-late June. While young usually disperse between August and October, the adults remain on territory year round. They eat live and and dead fish, squirrels, other birds, rabbit, muskrat, deer, possum and anything else they can catch or find. To learn more about bald eagles in general, please follow this link to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology website. Visiting Decorah to see the eagles? Please read through our guide to eagle etiquette >> Bald Eagle Etiquette.

Female eagles are larger than male eagles, with slightly darker heads and more pronounced brows. The image below shows the differences in appearance between Mom and DM2 and should help in ID’ing them.

I know myself, @allybird58 , his grandchildren, and several more of us used to be enthralled at their behaviour from egg to eaglets flying the nest.
There were 3 eggs laid this year, but one broke.
They are due to hatch within the next 4 days.

i prefer the British Thrush, although I'm not even sure that it's British but it's my favourite bird and i love seeing them and they sing beautifully, anyone who has ever woken up in a tent at dawn will have heard it...they are fearless creatures and will kick f%*k out of any other bird that trys it on, also they eat snails, which serves a purpose
sthrush4s.jpg
Nothing against foreign birds but got a disease from one when i was 18

i prefer the British Thrush, although I'm not even sure that it's British but it's my favourite bird and i love seeing them and they sing beautifully, anyone who has ever woken up in a tent at dawn will have heard it...they are fearless creatures and will kick f%*k out of any other bird that trys it on, also they eat snails, which serves a purpose
View attachment 37969
Nothing against foreign birds but got a disease from one when i was 18
Unlucky there Pablo, Should've used protection!

This truly is amazing when you think of the scale of the size of the nest.
The eggs themselves are as big as a baseball, which is about 50% bigger than a tennis ball.
And to think you can see it all from the comfort if your own home.

Thanks for this @wheelo

That is great video footage there a fantastic bird, it’s great that we can see what goes on in wildlife all this makes the world go round and we all take this for granted :cry:

First glimpse of the chick for me tonight, mom is feeding at the minute. Caught these screenshots.

Screenshot_20190407-224924_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190407-224830_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190407-224919_Chrome.jpg

Feckin tablet doesnt take a screenshot immediately, missed better shots by split seconds, these show mom feeding the chick with a fish.

Thanks Wheelo fantastic imagasKids wont let me reply the just want to see Eagle Babys and we are loving them all,Thanks again Wheelo

Back