Dell D600 Booting on then off.

Hi guys,

Just been given a d600 by a nephew to see what's wrong with it but, the only problem is it boots when I press the power button then after a few seconds goes off. I have left it on charge and tried the power direct with the same results. I prob could've told him what's wrong if it booted up.

Anyone have any clues?????

I'm baffled

Thanks

Might sound stupid,but check the fan is not completely clogged with dust,i had to fix 1 that addmitedly got futher into the boot process it would boot and get to the desktop and then shutdown,but once i cleaned the fan,you should have seen how clogged it was it ran fine

Good advice sinno!!!

A couple of other things to check out are (in any order),

It is possible thatyour AC Power lead is faulty and\or you battery is dead (or faulty). Try removing the battery and booting with just the power lead.
If still the same then check out your AC Power lead in another WORKING system that uses the same voltage, which I believe is 19.5v (but check on the bottom of the laptop), this will tell you if it is faulty or not, or try a known working Power lead in yours.

Disconnect all hardware you can get after removing covers, and reconnect (memory,wireless cards, hard drives etc) and re seat.

If still problems then things will not be looking good for the motherboard, it could be that you have a faulty power jack on the laptop however.
Depending on how comfortable and experienced you are, then I would strip the laptop down to check and get at all the other connections\hardware that I could reseat, like the CPU (repaste),graphics lead plug and the like. If the power jack is not a soldered one, then I might take the chance of purchasing one of ebay as they are cheap enough, and it would be no big loss if it did not rectify the fault (If you could get hold of a known working battery of someone who has the same model laptop, this would be better).

Hope that helps a bit,
jodav :)

could be a dead hard drive there a few things that could cause that can you find out if the m/c had a bang or a fall

Back