desktop gone

anfieldroad

does anyone know whats wrong with my laptop,i can not access my desktop i just get a black screen and the space on the bottom of my pc were the start button is,is gone:idea:

is the screen totally black or on close inspection can you see something on the screen?

hello moh,yes its totally black dont know wheather this has anything to do with it.i downloaded hitecks giveaway of the day,then when i restarted the pc it was then that i notiched it

try do a system restore or start it in safe mode and uninstall the program you installed, press F8 or F6 when booting.Restart as normal when finished

its got nothing to do with the download the wife just informed me it was like it yesterday,will try a system resture axxxo

i wouldnt do a system restore id do as axxxo said above, start in safe mode and go to last known good configuration.

when the black screen starts up can you get the task manager window to open?
also you should try to start in safe mode to eliminate a fault with startup drivers an all that

ok that rules out other problems ...have you tried the system restore? hopefully you have your files backed up.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

try this just found it on the web

i dont have my files backed up,just restarted pc,does this message have anything to do with it "application has failed to start because of SHDOCVWW.dll try reinstalling the application mayfix this program

just googled that so have a look here

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Fix shdocvw.dll error:

shdocvw.dll error occurs while starting your windows that stops you from getting any further into your desktop. Sometimes you can’t even go into your desktop in Safe Mode that makes it hard to replace the missing or corrupted shdocvw.dll, so here’s an easy steps to fix this.

NOTE: I assume that you have Firefox installed or any as long as it is not IE.

1. After getting the shdocvw.dll error, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the Task Manager.
2. In Task Manager, click New Task under the Applications tab.
3. Click Browse, then C:\Program files\Mozilla Firefox then double click firefox
4. Once FireFox opens, download shdocvw.dll here or you may google it if you want.
5. Save it somewhere like in your C:\ for easy access
6. Repeat steps 1 and 2 but this time, type in the box, cmd to open the command prompt
7. type copy C:\shdocvw.dll C:\windows\system32
8. Restart your system, everythings back to normal.

tried that moh still did not get the desktop back supose i will have to back up my files and try a system restore, but dont know how to do a restore

tried that moh still did not get the desktop back supose i will have to back up my files and try a system restore, but dont know how to do a restore

could you tell me exactly what operating system your using xp/vista? anyway heres how to get into safe mode and then system restore.

When you power-on your pc it performs a number of self-tests. During the POST (Power On Self Test) you usually see your computer counting its memory and displaying hard disk information. As soon as you see the hard disk detection phase on the screen, press and hold the F8 key.

Hold the F8 key until you see the "Windows Advanced Options menu". Use your keyboard up and down arrow keys to select Windows Safe mode. Windows now tries to start with a minimal set of drivers and functionality. All the fun things are left out, but this basic, strapped-down mode may be the only access path to your Windows desktop.

Once you get in, you will notice that Windows is now running in safe mode, because "safe mode" is displayed in the four corners of your screen. You will also notice it by the reduced functionality and display settings.

Do not worry, if everything goes according to plan, this is only temporary. Now that you are in Windows, you can use System Restore to flash your computer back to when it was still working.

Click Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore.

In the System Restore wizard, check the option to "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click next.

In the calendar that appears, choose a good restore point and click next. When the operation is complete, your computer will restart and it will tell you that the system was restored.

Return from "System Restore in Safe mode" to the general Windows XP System Restore page.

Windows Vista

Windows Vista is similar to Windows XP for starting in Safe Mode.

* Turn the computer on or Restart the computer
* Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
* Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected (the top option)
* Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
* When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Last edited:
Anfield if you cant see the screen then i dont know how you are going to back up your files etc., maybe someone else can answer that,ive lost lots of stuff on a previous pc when i ran into trouble, due to not regularly backing up my files,but in this case maybe you will have to just lose everything and start a fresh, hopefully someone else can help you here regarding this.i think the main option is to get your pc back up and running (y)

Back