Difference between 2x single sat tuners and 1x twin sat tuner?

Shikesh

Hi guys am hoping someone can help with something that's confusing me.

Essentially I'm wondering if there's a difference between a box with 2 single sat tuners or a box with 1 twin sat tuner? I guess at the end of the day they both have 2 tuners but is there a difference when it comes to recording from the EPG or recording 2 shows at the same time on internal HDD?

Would I be correct in saying if I had 2 single sat tuners then on practice, I would have to select tuner 1, go to the EPG and record my desired show and if there's another show at the same time I'd like to watch or record I'd need to select tuner 2, go to EPG and select the program to either watch or record from there? I'm guessing that with the twin tuner everything's integrated with just the one EPG much like my current sly HD box.

Thanks for your help and clarification.

Just set your tuners up in the configuration menu and the box uses whichever tuner is free.
Go to EPG, set recording , change channel and the box will simply use whichever tuner is not in use

Enigma2 will select the tuner appropriate for the service.

Tuner slots are on the circuit boards
Tuner cards go in the slots on the circuit board.

One twin tuner tuner card will go in one tuner slot. Result = two sat tuners.
Two single tuner cards will go in two tuner slots. Result = two sat tuners.

Best to buy a twin tuner card as they are generally cheaper than two singles and you have option of using another tuner card at a later stage.

A single card with twin tuners requires a box with certain settings, and a specific type of LNB, standard LNBs won't work.
2 separate tuners will work with standard LNBs.

Thanks guys for your help on clearing this up for me.

I guess I'm ok as I've got the standard 2 outputs from my LNB?

Just out of curiosity so things still work with the same simplicity as you've described above regarding recording/watching from the EPG if the 2 tuners are a sat tuner and a cable/terrestrial tuner or do both tuners have to be of the same type for that?

Thanks a lot for your help.

If one tuner is sat, and one tuner us cable then you need a cable input for the 2nd tuner,
You can only watch (or record) one sat channel at a time, you can't watch one sat channel and record a different sat channel, the same for cable.
But, you can record sat and watch a different channel on cable, or vice versa.

A single card with twin tuners requires a box with certain settings, and a specific type of LNB, standard LNBs won't work.
2 separate tuners will work with standard LNBs.
This is not correct.

You set a tuner to match what is connected to it, it does not matter whether the tuners are on one card or separate. Actually it does to a degree with regards to internally linked or not.

If you are thinking of FBC tuners, you can use a normal LNBs with them.

@Shikesh, what receiver are you thinking of?
You said you have two outputs on your LNB. Is that a sky Q/wideband LNB?

An FBC tuner unit/module is the tuners themselves. They will always be FBC tuners, you cannot change them.

An FBC tuner/unit comes as two physical connecections on/in one card/unit. A total of 8 demodulators/tuners. Two can have physical connections although they are internally linked. The other 6 can be "connected" to the connection/s with a physical wire attached. FBC automatic will be same as loop through in a non FBC tuner.

You are mixing up tuners with LNBs. They are two separate entitities.

Where is your thread about this issue?

An FBC tuner unit/module is the tuners themselves. They will always be FBC tuners, you cannot change them.

An FBC tuner/unit comes as two physical connecections on/in one card/unit. A total of 8 demodulators/tuners. Two can have physical connections although they are internally linked. The other 6 can be "connected" to the connection/s with a physical wire attached. FBC automatic will be same as loop through in a non FBC tuner.

You are mixing up tuners with LNBs. They are two separate entitities.

Where is your thread about this issue?
I don't have an issue, I use my tuners in "normal" mode,
They be be configured on a formuler F1 and Edision OSmini as different types of tuner.
I fully understand the difference between LNBs , I have a quattro and 1 dual and 1 quad on my dish, all fed through Diseqc and a multi switch, that's why I mentioned perhaps why when set as FBC I lost most if my channels because of the other stuff.

You can't decide what mode an FBC tuner operates in. It will always be an FBC tuner, there isn't a normal or FBC mode.

I suspect the route cause of your "non-issue", a diseqc switch is in use on your setup. It cannot allow usage of one satellite on the signal wire to the tuner. This does not warrant you giving other people incorrect information because of the limitation of your hardware/setup.

Anyway, we will be going round in circles. To answer the OP's question again. A twin tuner module is better than two single ones. You do not need special setting or LNBs for it. You just need to set it up to match what is connected to it.

You can't decide what mode an FBC tuner operates in. It will always be an FBC tuner, there isn't a normal or FBC mode.

I suspect the route cause of your "non-issue", a diseqc switch is in use on your setup. It cannot allow usage of one satellite on the signal wire to the tuner. This does not warrant you giving other people incorrect information because of the limitation of your hardware/setup.

Anyway, we will be going round in circles. To answer the OP's question again. A twin tuner module is better than two single ones. You do not need special setting or LNBs for it. You just need to set it up to match what is connected to it.
Without going round in circles, or debating my set-up which you have no knowledge of, or how my tuners are configured, which you also have no knowledge of .
Or your ( lack of ) knowledge of how Diseqc switches work.
you are wrong.

Without going round in circles, or debating my set-up which you have no knowledge of, or how my tuners are configured, which you also have no knowledge of .
Or your ( lack of ) knowledge of how Diseqc switches work.
you are wrong.

He is a mod on the Openvix forum. :grin::grin::grin::grin:

And both them boxes don't use FBC Tuners :grin::grin::grin::grin:

Just sayin like :grin::grin::grin:

A unicable LNB is not designed to be connected to a multiswitch. Common multiswitches have four inputs from quattro LNBs although most recent ones will work with quad LNB. Unicable LNB chanenls are shared using powerpass splitters.

This is not correct.

You set a tuner to match what is connected to it, it does not matter whether the tuners are on one card or separate. Actually it does to a degree with regards to internally linked or not.

If you are thinking of FBC tuners, you can use a normal LNBs with them.

@Shikesh, what receiver are you thinking of?
You said you have two outputs on your LNB. Is that a sky Q/wideband LNB?
Hi first of all everyone thanks for your inputs. You all have an immense amount of knowledge on the subject and I am learning greatly from yourselves so very much appreciate it.

In answer to your question Abu, yes I have the standard sky +hd setup jnstalled around 6 years ago. I am looking at 3 boxes but can't quite decide - the tiviar alpha because of its 3 tuners or the mutant hd51 because of its speed. I'm thinking the gigablue ue uhd 4k because it has both the 3 tuners of the tiviar and the speed of the mutant. Even though I don't have a 4k TV yet wanted a box with speed that gives me 2 sat tuners with the option of an added cable/terrestrial tuner hence why I was asking in mynorimy or post. As I said many thanks to all you experts for your help. Glad we are all friends here! :(y):

The Mutant will only allow two cards. There are only single tuner cards for the Mutant.

Also, i forgot to mention that the twin tuner Hybrid cards can only operate in one mode. I.e you can only have both tuners in Terrestrial mode or both in Cable mode. If you want to have Satellite, Cable and Terrestrial you will have to use a USB tuner for one of them.

I would go for the Gigablue. It is faster and higher spec than the Mutant. It does not have the S2X tuner (multistream services on some satellites) nor blindscan that the Mutant has. You won't need these if you are using a fixed 28.2 dish. I'm not too sure abut the stalker plugin differences.

Back