Different codecs and their use in IPTV

I'm curious how different codecs affect quality of streams so thought it would be worth asking as my technical knowledge is very basic compared to a lot of you guys.

MPEG4, H.264, H.265 video compression, likewise AC3, AAC, hevc for audio etc. On the best quality streams in the world of IPTV, what would one expect to see used? Or is there no real relationship between quality and codecs? I do at least understand that the less compression the better the stream but how the different methods are used is interesting.

I may be completely barking up the wrong tree with this but I like to learn!

I'm curious how different codecs affect quality of streams so thought it would be worth asking as my technical knowledge is very basic compared to a lot of you guys.

MPEG4, H.264, H.265 video compression, likewise AC3, AAC, hevc for audio etc. On the best quality streams in the world of IPTV, what would one expect to see used? Or is there no real relationship between quality and codecs? I do at least understand that the less compression the better the stream but how the different methods are used is interesting.

Alot of suppliers are changing codec to hevc265 which some devices will struggle

That's interesting, so likely that the best streams would use hevc265?

I imagine that would be risky from a providers perspective if half their customer base had devices that couldn't handle it. I guess they'd have to have a minimum of 2 different services in that case.

Looking at forums mag 256 & above should be able to handle 1080p h265/x265
These streams are low bandwidth but maintain quality. I would say in due time once hardware/software improves h265 streams will only improve.

Looking at forums mag 256 & above should be able to handle 1080p h265/x265
These streams are low bandwidth but maintain quality. I would say in due time once hardware/software improves h265 streams will only improve.
Mag 256 only plays hevc264 streams all old mags zgemma ect won’t play new streams the newer mags 420 onwards will which is hevc265

Reactions: m4u
Mag 256 only plays hevc264 streams all old mags zgemma ect won’t play new streams the newer mags 420 onwards will which is hevc265
This is taken from informir site

Video сodecs MPEG1/2 MP@HL, H.264 HP@level 4.1, H.265 (HEVC), MPEG4 part 2 (ASP), XviD; 3D and HD video supporting (up to 40 Mbit/s and above

I assume if it has the codec it can playback

This is taken from informir site

Video сodecs MPEG1/2 MP@HL, H.264 HP@level 4.1, H.265 (HEVC), MPEG4 part 2 (ASP), XviD; 3D and HD video supporting (up to 40 Mbit/s and above

I assume if it has the codec it can playback
Yes plays old stream format a lot of providers are moving to hevc265 which won’t play on the old boxes bud 90% of sources used by provider I’m with has already changed

Yes plays old stream format a lot of providers are moving to hevc265 which won’t play on the old boxes bud 90% of sources used by provider I’m with has already changed
I understand but it says H265 codec support.
I think it won't handle 4k because not compatible.

Some users say it works in this post.

Hevc on Mag 256

Last edited:
I've updated my post above yours. I know few people it works for. But I wouldn't recommend mag256 if your buying something new to get future proof. Just go with Android or newest model.

But h265 is future imo.

I've updated my post above yours. I know few people it works for. But I wouldn't recommend mag256 if your buying something new to get future proof. Just go with Android or newest model.

But h265 is future imo.
Agreed bud have to move with the times

But h265 is future imo.
imfirmirs fault that as they said they wasnt gonna update the codecs on older models

Hi - I like you find high-tech explanations difficult to comprehend, but I found this old review & forecast on 'Digital Trends', I found this most helpful. Try this: -
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/h-265-hevc-encoding-explained/

Back