Digital Photography - Photoshop - Canon's new CR2 for the T4i.

imd

Not sure where to post this but it is valid information that I am certain not everyone is aware of.

With the continually evolving world of digital photography and photo editing software, I face issues on a daily basis. Here is one that may be of use to many.

With the introduction of Canon's T4i DSLR, Canon also came up with a new RAW file that is not readable by anything below CS6. A lot of people get their knickers in a twist over this thinking they MUST upgrade to CS6 or the file will not be read. Of course Canon provides you with minimalist software to edit photos that will use this...

There is a quick and easy solution that only requires one extra step. On the Adobe site you can download a free free-standing DNG converter (digital negative) that will convert your CR2 (Canon's new RAW) to DNG, DNG can be used and is lossless by just about anything. It is an industry standard. Once you have converted your files you can then open them just about anywhere. The conversion process is very fast. You put your new CR2 files into a folder that you can locate on your computer, open up the converter, point to the files and even with the huge files...I tried it out with 168 25MB+ files, it took no more than 10 seconds...So now you have your choice of keeping both the CR2 files and the DNG files. If space is an issue you can delete the CR2 files. Repeating myself, the DNG files are lossless. The bottom line is that the newly converted DNG files will work in whatever edition of Photoshop (and I imagine Corel and Gimp as well) and it only took you 10 seconds more for the entire batch.

You would not believe the number of people that rant at Canon and at Adobe for this, never bothering to read about the free standalone converter that Adobe offers. It works wonderfully...accurate, fast, small footprint....

If you have any digital photography/camera questions, don't be shy. Ask.

If you have any digital photography/camera questions, don't be shy. Ask.

My daughter likes photography (only an interest, nothing too high Tech) She's looking to get a new point & shoot with zoom and was trying to choose between

Nikon COOLPIX P510

Review:
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dFOnLkWz0I

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS

Review:
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxg88Q7BY-o

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150

Review:
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSWFIIaluVI

The reviews seem to suggest that the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 is the best of the three?

Have you any thoughts on the above reviews imd? or any advice/suggestions I could give her?

With all of the above...I will tell you without a doubt that there is one not on your list that you should try. It is a SonyCyber-shot DSC-HX200V 18.2 MP. It is a point and shoot and does not have interchangeable lenses, and does not shoot raw. It does have many in-camera filters, and it does do a decent three-bracket that you can later merge to HDR, or use the HDR feature in the camera. I prefer to tell the people I teach that it is better to do the HDR with three separate images as you learn to much more. Furthermore, it is light and barely noticeable on your shoulder.

I have no idea how old she is, but getting good photos when you are trying to is an incentive to learn and later on move up to the more prosumer cameras. Took four "toy" cameras on a trip to Bermuda to save my back from with weight of the big Nikons. One of them was the camera mentioned above. One was a Pentax K5, one was a Canon T3i, one was an Olympus Stylus Tough as it is sand and water sealed, and last but not least a pocket Sony. The only one that frustrated me was the Olympus Stylus Tough as the shutter delay was not something I could cope with.

When I take photos of stuff I put for sale on Ebay, the first Sony I mentioned it the one I'll grab first. Fast and easy. I do have a quantity of photographs up on Flickr for fun. In the upper right hand corner of each photo it will tell you the camera I used. Looking in the Bermuda set you will see all of the cameras I took with me and that I put to use. There are also shots from that camera in the Newport Rhode Island set and a few others.

flickr.com/photos/IndyMcDuff.

A lot of what you want to consider the is age and the level of interest. BUT, always keep in mind that going extra-cheap with yield poor results and will, inevitably, extinguish the creativity.

Back