DIY VPN

JALS

Anyone running their own VPN using a VPS. I'm thinking about doing so rather than using a VPN provider.

No replies so I assume not many folks doing this. I was considering it as it gives an extra level of control.
However, the fact it would need maintained and only a single IP / location means it is more hassle than a commercial VPN service, for not much extra benefit.
I may try it out for a bit and compare.

No replies so I assume not many folks doing this. I was considering it as it gives an extra level of control.
However, the fact it would need maintained and only a single IP / location means it is more hassle than a commercial VPN service, for not much extra benefit.
I may try it out for a bit and compare.
If you google ZeroTier that may be of use to you

Algo VPN was popular before , came with Ansible scripts you can deploy to cloud on let's say AWS.

Issue is cost - looked into it once and I think oracle was cheapest hosting , but still was working out at 15-20 euro a month.

Yeah was looking at algo and scripts to spin up when needed - not worth it cost wise on its own. I do have a vps I use for test web stuff so will give it a try. It’s with digital ocean though which I understand gets blocked quite a bit by streaming providers.

Would AWS lightsail be an optional , their plans are gone very cheap. Also it's comes with a static IP. Might get up and running for $3.50 a month. AWS using EC2 you get hit with the instance cost + data transfer cost but their VPS service (lightsail) seems way cheaper.

Cost of Self-Hosting a VPN server in AWS

Seems like Lightsail is used for this use case quite a bit. It's an option in the setup for Algo.
Will give it a try and see how it goes.

I've done this before on OVH and it runs really well. Only issue is you will only get 1 location, but it's very unlikely you will ever be blocked or throttled with it as it is not a known VPN address.

Anyone running their own VPN using a VPS. I'm thinking about doing so rather than using a VPN provider.
I've done a few over the years, and always have something of my own running somewhere in the world.
In my case, I have a few VPS's running anyway, so why not just add vpn services for good measure.
There are some easy-install scripts about if you want to roll you own openvpn or wireguard. Additionally, using Tailscale/Headscale offers some interesting and functional options.
Some references -
GitHub - Nyr/openvpn-install: OpenVPN road warrior installer for Ubuntu, Debian, AlmaLinux, Rocky Linux, CentOS and Fedora
GitHub - Nyr/wireguard-install: WireGuard road warrior installer for Ubuntu, Debian, AlmaLinux, Rocky Linux, CentOS and Fedora
Tailscale

Certainly easily achievable - you can get a free 24GB RAM, 4vCPU ARM instance from Oracle Cloud, subject to data centre availability, which gives 10TB of egress data per month at up to 4Gbps throughput. That's theoretical but nearly every instance I've run gets gigabit speeds easily enough. ARM availability aside their 'Always Free' AMD instances were documented to be capped at 50Mbps and although that used to be the case I've seen AMD instance go ten times that speed recently so maybe that's not being enforced.

GL.

I've looked at this before, I have an OVH dedicated server (not VPS) based in france which costs me a mere £5/month and thought of running it on there, I also used to have a few vps's around the world but they were let go years ago. you used to be able to see the advertised on sites like lowendbox for $10-15/year.

I think if you want a bit of flexibility you want half a dozen people getting together, get a hand full of vps's in different locations between you and then run VPN on each of them, yes you get more control but someone needs to maintain them, make sure the VPN doesn't go down, add users etc

Back