DNS problem

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
I have brought a new Wireless router a belkin N+ i thought this might help with my internet problems but No. I keep getting that i am not connected or that pages are not responding or busy etc.

Sometimes i cant get on the net FF says one thing and IE tells me to do a diagnostics, they all differ some of the problems i get are:
DNS server not responding
Connection between access point, router, or cable modem is broken. ( new router and new leads)

IE cannot identify the problem.
All of these times my router has all its blue lights on stating that its worknig fine, i even go to do a network map which tells me everything is connected.
Problem is this is sort of hit n miss. I have contacted VM but all i get from them is that my modem is working fully if lights are doing as they should.
But surley if its a DNS problem then its down to the provider and not my pc or router.
oh im running windows 7 and yes its a new pc, new router and still same old problems.

Any help peeps ????
sorry forgot to mention its not just my pc but anything thats connnected to the wireless also gets same problem, Xbox ( when playing cod6) seems to have the worst connection problems

Have you tried changing the channel it is broadcasting on? And maybe turning off all security & firewall etc. on router just to test?

Oh and mean't to ask, have you connected up wired and does it drop?

No to turning off firewall and security. Its set on auto for channel current channel 11 - needs to be certain channels for Wii to work - apparently
I know how to turn off firewall but not sure how to turn off my avg
When i had problem a while ago i took router out and had just modem plugged in and had similar problems.
when you say connected up to wired, now my pc is running from pc to modem to router to internet. It does not seem to go direct from pc to modem to internet - it did on old pc, but when i set this up i set up the router and modem together coz i could not get just the modem to work on its own for some reason.
Could it be that i need someone round to help set it all up correctly.

As you may remember i got my old pc reformatted and and seem to have had internet problems since. bought a new pc ( win 7) and although i dont have the pc probs i had with old pc still have the internet issues. I literally unplugged old pc and plugged in new one and transferred everything over using transfer wizard

Sounds strange to me when you say you have it running from pc to modem to router to internet. I would have thought it should be pc to router to modem. Where your modem is connected to phone line? Is your router a router/modem as most are these days which would mean your modem is not needed?

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

When I mentioned turning off firewall I mean't on modem and the router. You'll need the i.p. address of the modem then when you go into the settings of it you should be able to turn off the firewall. Same on the router. Not avg or anything on your pc. In theory you could be running 3 Firewalls which can cause problems. 1 on your modem, 1 on your router and 1 built into windows.

no modem is not connected to a phoneline its a cable modem, cable comes into house and goes direct to modem which is then plugged into to pc (or wireless router in my case)

that is what the map says when i click on network and internet. its actaully says (with pictures) pc ( my pc - Switch (modem) then lindas pc ( router) then internet if i knew how to screenshot it id show ya.
Back of machines: it goes - cable into modem - modem to router via ethernet - then ethernet cable from router to pc

Ah that makes more sense to me cheers. What model modem and router are you using?
If you want to take a screenshot just hold down CTRL+C and then open paint and hit CTRL+V to paste the screenshot and save.

Router is Belkin N+ F5D8235 ( sorry so small having trouble seeing it) modem is ntl home 120 60194E-A12
have no idea on how to get into modem settings

ok think i done screenshot right

When you have that screen up and you move the mouse over each item (Linda's pc, switch etc.) do you not get a little popup with the IP address of each piece of equipment?

Have a read here, it seems to be explained how it should be set up. Check your settings against whats described here. Post number six seems to explain it best.

Code:
http://www.broadbandbanter.com/showthread.php?t=16556

Last edited:
i dont get nothing on the switch or internet but get same on my pc and the router ( last digest different)
thanks ill look that up

Well I would leave the firewall on, on the router anyhow. The IP addresses are listed on that page and the correct setup. If your not sure about something mentioned on that discussion and instructions I'm about for the evening so just ask. Let us know how you get on. Best of luck (y)

Hi linny, if you bypass everything and just use your modem directly, that is, cable to modem, modem via ethernet to pc and still have problems than i would contact service provider and tell them to send out a technician. Everything connected seems to be having problems and ive read your other posts in the past, new router, same problems = service provider i would imagine

oh, and dont agree to follow any steps over the phone, demand a call out!

Last edited:
cheers Axxxo. ill have another play around with it over the next week or so and see how things go if not then yes its a matter of re-arranging my house and calling them in lol!

Back