Does the H2S require a permanent ethernet connection?

kungfuman

I have 3 H2S boxes installed over our house which have Grogbuild installed on them and pretty much used only as freeview boxes.

I ran into some network instability issues over the weekend which pretty much took down our entire home network (mesh wifi, ethernet connected devices). After much time fault finding which involved checking each ethernet cable and even buying new network switches, I think I've nailed it down to one of the H2S boxes causing the problem. After restarting the boxes, the issues seems to have disappeared for now.

I was just wondering, as we are only using the boxes for freeview only, is there any reason why I should have them connected to our network? Does it need it for regular system updates or EPG updates?

If for Freeview then your correct they only really need to be connected for EPG update. These can be scheduled weekly or every 5 days.

But you could remove them from your network and connect them for a manual epg update.

If for Freeview then your correct they only really need to be connected for EPG update. These can be scheduled weekly or every 5 days.

But you could remove them from your network and connect them for a manual epg update.

I'm just wondering how 'normal' freesat boxes get their EPG updates since most of them wont be connected to the internet? Do they come through on the sat signal and if so can the H2S be configured to be the same?

No experience of Freeview boxes but they can get their EPG over the air.

Use the Open TV EPG option you will get EPG over the air im not sure how many days it covers though, you need to disable your current EPG method.

Last edited:
I presume you mean free to air (FTA) instead of freeview. Freeview uses an aerial.

There are several methods to get EPG from the satellite. The simplest method is going to be CrossEPG Downloader. You will need a swap file as it is RAM hungry and you will also need to save EPG to a storage device.

In CrossEPG, set the provider to OpenTV 28.2.

As an aside, did you have mgcamd running on your boxes?

I have 3 H2S boxes installed over our house which have Grogbuild installed on them and pretty much used only as freeview boxes.

I ran into some network instability issues over the weekend which pretty much took down our entire home network (mesh wifi, ethernet connected devices). After much time fault finding which involved checking each ethernet cable and even buying new network switches, I think I've nailed it down to one of the H2S boxes causing the problem. After restarting the boxes, the issues seems to have disappeared for now.

I was just wondering, as we are only using the boxes for freeview only, is there any reason why I should have them connected to our network? Does it need it for regular system updates or EPG updates?
If using Freeview (aerial) not Freesat (dish) then you don't need a network connection for anything, the EPG comes in with the channels without using epgimporter or any other plugin or software

Even for "Freesat", you do not need an internet connection to then use EPG Importer to obtain Rytec EPG data.

You can use
CrossEPG downloader as mentioned above
The inbuilt Freesat EPG reader. Once enabled it will "trickle load" EPG from every transponder. You can "fast load" the EPG by zapping to a service on the Freesat transponder
If image is recent, the OpenTV EPG Reader. Will need to zap to the Sky EPG transponder on 11778 Mhz, Vertical
A combination of Radio times emulator and EPG importer

My mother in law has a H2S for Sky FTA and no network connection.
I think I may have set it up to use EPG Refresh for the EPG.

I always think outside the box and would say yes if you have recordings on boxes and want to view on other tvs around the house

Thanks for the replies so far, just to be clear I am using them as freesat boxes and nothing else. Dont need any additional functionality such as sly, iptv or even recordings anymore. I will have a play tonight on the EPG settings.

@Abu Baniaz no I dont have mgcamd running (I dont think).

Check in the softcam manager. If you have a corrupt logging IP address in the config file, it can flood your network.. This is the line starting with L:

Back