eBuyer UK ceased shipping to Southern Ireland ?

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if many\any of our Irish members use eBuyer.co.uk?

I do & find them pretty good, but I'm hearing through the grapevine that they have ceased shipping to Southern Ireland (unconfirmed at this stage) because of something to do with the VAT rate here :dunno:

I hope it's not true.

-

is it like eBay? or more like Amazon? and what do you think of that madbid.com website?

ebuyer is a computer retailer based in Yorkshire

i have had thousands of pounds of stuff delivered with very good results

You could have heard correct there Gman,

Had a look around and it doesn't mention it on there site but checked there ebay account and they say they cannot send it to Southern Ireland.

si.png

Have a look for your self here,

Code:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280638673777

Right at the bottom of the page.

You could always ask on there Forum maybe.

Code:
http://forums.ebuyer.com/

I know too that there will always be a better price for a particular product on one site over another and vice verse? but I just took one random item for the hell of it & compared eBuyer to Overclockers & Scan.

eBuyer:

Overclockers:

Scan:

Probably could reverse that outcome with another product but it shows that eBuyer were good for the most part.

Actually this item is a tad cheaper on Amazon

-

Last edited:
I asked them directly and it is true

This is the response I got to my eNote asking if the rumor was true.

ebuyergone.jpg

I have just asked the following but don't expect to get much Info from them?

(1). Can you give some indication as to why this decision was taken by eBuyer?

(2). Is it permanent or it there the possibility of it being reversed anytime soon?

(3). Why did eBuyer elect not to notify its existing southern Ireland customers of this important change?

-

The question regarding eBuyer not shipping to Ireland was posed on their own forum and THIS was the response. They expect to see other UK e-tailers with no physical presence in Ireland follow suit.....

It appears too that it only effects "non business customers"

Of course Northern Ireland remains unaffected by this latest turn of events.

The fact they have sustained a good trade with South Ireland and then have not had the decency to let there loyal customers know via email is very poor.

To add to there poor form they STILL have not updated there site to put a stop to the question.

The fact you had to post here and I have seen Boards.ie members had to do the same is only showing disrespect to it's customers.

Shame on you Ebuyer!.

I bought a lot of stuff from them H (Non VAT related) and am very sorry to see them go. Aside from the currency difference they had great choice and rock solid delivery schedule. I had even struck up a friendship with the Currier that delivered all their stuff to me & could phone him anytime to divert delivery or even meat him in transit on the road whenever the need arose.

As for eBuyer not notifying their S Ireland customers? One of the Boards.ie guy's placed an order when this first broke, just to see what would happen, eBuyer allowed him to fully complete the order but then issued him with an email stating that they could not ship to S Ireland & issued an immediate refund. But wait for it? "They did not refund the shipping charge" How fooking Irish is that?

The likes of Overclockers UK do a much higher trade with Southern Ireland so would have well exceeded whatever VAT band eBuyer are talking about but they still trade here (for now at least).

Even in this so called technological times we live in, Ireland it still very restricted when it comes to choice of internet shopping with both the currency & unwillingness to ship restrictions we have to endure.

And for the bricks and mortar stores here? forget it, not only is the choice not there, but the prices would require a second mortgage.

You'll have to setup a small lockup H and act as a intermediate shipper for us poor soles over here :)

-

I've never used them but it sounds a bit fishy to me, surely they could just increse a price to allow for VAT charges?
Simply stating on shipping that they had to increase their prices because so?

Back