Elderly dog incontinence

tonybev

Hi
Has anybody used medication for incontinence in elderly dogs
Our 14 year old spaniel bitch struggles keeping dry at night time
We are now using washable dog nappys which is no problem but wondering about the medication side of things
I am asking here rather than at the vets as they are only interested in how much they can make out of you (in my experience)
Regards Tony

Hi
We are now using washable dog nappys which is no problem but wondering about the medication side of things
I am asking here rather than at the vets as they are only interested in how much they can make out of you (in my experience)
Regards Tony
Our dog suffers from spay incontinence and has been on a medication called Propalin syrup.

Propalin Syrup from - Shop Now and Save at Pet Drugs Online

We get a prescription from the vets every six months and buy from the linked website. We add 1.2ml to her food in a morning and night, works brilliantly.

Hi
Regards Tony
This breaks my heart Tony

I've always had dogs and my last Labrador had all sorts of issues and was constantly at the vets. She was prescribed heartburn tablets from the vet and they charged me about £80 for a month. I found out that humans use the same heartburn tablets and after speaking to my local pharmacy, they could give me 3 months worth of tablets for £15, I just needed a private prescription from my vet. That's what I did. The prescription cost me about £30 from memory. So for £45 I was getting 3 months worth of medication.

Disclaimer - I'm not a vet and I just had a google on your dogs incontinence issue. Would recommend doing as much research as you can.....
  • Phenylpropanolamine: Also known as PPA, phenylpropanolamine is a medication widely used in veterinary medicine to manage bladder issues . It's well-tolerated by most pets and helps combat poor muscle tone in the urethral sphincter.
Now, it looks like there is quite a cheap product that would suit this, but it requires a prescription from your vet - Propalin Syrup for Dogs
You'll need a prescription from your vet regardless and I think it's always best to get them to decide, BUT, you don't always have to buy the medicine from them. The make a massive markup on the drugs.

Please give doggo a big hug from me 🐶 ❤️ 🐶

This breaks my heart Tony

I've always had dogs and my last Labrador had all sorts of issues and was constantly at the vets. She was prescribed heartburn tablets from the vet and they charged me about £80 for a month. I found out that humans use the same heartburn tablets and after speaking to my local pharmacy, they could give me 3 months worth of tablets for £15, I just needed a private prescription from my vet. That's what I did. The prescription cost me about £30 from memory. So for £45 I was getting 3 months worth of medication.

Disclaimer - I'm not a vet and I just had a google on your dogs incontinence issue. Would recommend doing as much research as you can.....
  • Phenylpropanolamine: Also known as PPA, phenylpropanolamine is a medication widely used in veterinary medicine to manage bladder issues . It's well-tolerated by most pets and helps combat poor muscle tone in the urethral sphincter.
Now, it looks like there is quite a cheap product that would suit this, but it requires a prescription from your vet - Propalin Syrup for Dogs
You'll need a prescription from your vet regardless and I think it's always best to get them to decide, BUT, you don't always have to buy the medicine from them. The make a massive markup on the drugs.

Please give doggo a big hug from me 🐶 ❤️ 🐶
Errrrrrr.....you blind?

Thank you all for taking the time to help out ,I had googled about incontinence treatment but wanted some advice from real honest people not from fake reviews or grasping vets
I will make an appointment with our vet and discuss the treatment mentioned by you all
I will let you know how I get on
Regards Tony

our dog had urinary incontinence caused by cushings disease. it was constant but dissapeared after treatment. unfortunately you pay a load for diagnosis , but you can get the prescription online cheaper.

I have a Malinois and she suffered incontinence after her spay. We use Propalin syrup and she is now free of her issues. A prescription is the best way because the vet’s price is ridiculous.

Reactions: PCM
I have a Malinois and she suffered incontinence after her spay. We use Propalin syrup and she is now free of her issues. A prescription is the best way because the vet’s price is ridiculous.
Hi
I took Callie to the vet today and she prescribed a course of antibiotics for a week and the propolin syrup ,3 times a day to start off with and she asked me to let her know how she is getting on in six weeks time ,if all okay drop the dosage down to twice a day
She was prepared to write a prescription there and then ,but I decided to get a small bottle from the vets to see how she goes
Cheers Tony

There's been a bit of publicity about the way vets operate recently, some of the biggest rip off merchants around. Hope you manage to find something that helps Tony, it's awful that the people we trust to care for our pets exploit us.

Vet prices review over fears pet owners are being overcharged
Agree vets can be ridiculous prices especially if your pet doesn't have insurance or on the actual vets health plan.
I rang one vets for my dog to be neuted they wanted £350 rang another and was £185 with medication included and sergical suit

Back