Electric Vehicles - Any Opinions??

Neighbour has one.

Says cheaper than the ordinary petrol car.

Only downside is constant charge and cant drive long distances only locally as he only uses it for work.

I had a bmw 330e only live 3 miles from work. While at work I could plug it in to charge. Great car but got fed up plugging it in all the time. Not a full electric but good for between 10-15 miles per charge. I now a 520i.

thats the bit i like cheaper and greener running

from what i have seen and read. they say its comes out at 2/3rds the price to run
thats the bit i like
the uk government should still give money towards a home charge point

Last edited:
starting to see a few evs in the area now (lisburn ni)
there is a tesla
zeo
few leafs
golf
think there is a nero taxi, but it might be hybrid

great to see more and more

The UK is not and never will be set up for everyone to run an electric car.
It's a government thing of saying to the world we are going to be a clean nation when it comes to combustion engines and gas boilers.
If you have a house with a drive there's no problem getting a charge point fitted, but what if you live in a terraced street or a block of flats? You going to have a charging lead going from the kitchen of a flat on the 17th floor down to your car or cable running across the pavement to your car if you live in a terraced street (provided you can park anywhere near your front door) that's a compensation claim waiting to happen. What happens if there's 3 cars to one household?
Again this is the do gooders saying the right things without thinking them thru.

Bang on graveyard,
So let's say you live in a block of flats or terrace street. You need to charge your car no charger lets say you go to your Tesco's and all the charger points all 6 of them are taken what do you do then ?.

Let's say you get stuck on the M6 M1 M25 M62 in one of our many traffic jams, your running out, wtf do you do then??.
This might sound like a nobhead remark but, why can't they split the battery into 2 parts, 50% for driving and while it's driving there's a giro charging the other 50% then it auto swaps when empty ?.

I understand that it might be emptying faster than its charging but if it keeps you moving till you can fully charge...

I'm a bit surprised that they haven't considered adding charging points on lamp posts, maybe the amperage is not compatible,as you can tell I'm not a sparky :smiley:

I hate when the engines cut out at traffic lights , fast yokes as was in one for a minute and Whoosh " into infinity and beyond "
Sorry about stains on seat :X3: :X3: :X3: :X3: :X3: :X3: :X3: :X3: :X3: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The local council where I live have just done this. But still only a few EV points.
Well I thought it made sense,but didn't know it was being done. But I suppose you can only two on each post.
I've just been to an animal park near Bridlington in the large car park was two charging points, when I came out 4 hours later the same 2 cars were still parked there.

I know this is an old thread but it seemed pointless starting a new one asking the same question.

Obviously in the 2 years since the last post EV has become more popular, I've had Hybrid for past few years and always thought stay away from full electic mainly due to range etc, but I have recently been thinking if a car has a range of say 300 miles, how often do I do 300 mile journeys in one hit, I don't not without stopping for a hour or two anyway. It also appears the public chargers are faster, it appears most modern EV's can charge on them in about half an hour or so.
So, after eliminated that concern I had, I'm after opinions, especially from those that have gone full EV, on what they think about them. I am taking a couple for a test drive over the next week but still wary of the thought of it.

I know this is an old thread but it seemed pointless starting a new one asking the same question.

Obviously in the 2 years since the last post EV has become more popular, I've had Hybrid for past few years and always thought stay away from full electic mainly due to range etc, but I have recently been thinking if a car has a range of say 300 miles, how often do I do 300 mile journeys in one hit, I don't not without stopping for a hour or two anyway. It also appears the public chargers are faster, it appears most modern EV's can charge on them in about half an hour or so.
So, after eliminated that concern I had, I'm after opinions, especially from those that have gone full EV, on what they think about them. I am taking a couple for a test drive over the next week but still wary of the thought of it.
I've never had one but there was a phone-in on the radio the other day on this subject.
One chap had a diesel and a full EV car.
He doesn't bother with the ev so much now due to a few reasons.
300 miles is a maximum, like he said, during cold, wet weather with the heater and wipers/lights on you can half that.
Public chargers often don't work or there's not enough of them, he said it's ok for running around towns/cities but no good for long journeys or for driving in rural areas, not many villages have charging points.
This may change over the next few years but up to now it's hit and miss WRT charging points

Back