Emtec Movie Cube S800 / NAS - Long Shot

slimmy46

(Hope his is in the right section, apologies if it isn't)
Hi
Thanks for looking in, Ok this is a long shot, and hope someone can help?
I have had the above Movie Cube for approx 10 years, its been fantastic, I have stored loads of Movies and Music on it over the years, As a family we have really enjoyed it, Winter evenings, a take away and a good old movie - Perfect!
However Unfortunately, recently the Movie Cube wouldn't boot up, i figured it was time to perhaps flash it with the latest firmware, i took it upon myself to back everything up, so disconnected the power, HDMI, etc and connected it to my pc via USB / Printer cable, i could see everything in designated folders, all the kids movies, our Movies and Music etc, although it took some time, i managed to get everything off which is still currently sitting on my Desktop / PC.
The great thing about this was it had a USB Dongle and so i could connect to my Desktop / pc and drag and drop a movie into a folder which would then place the movie on the cube whilst still connected to my tv, Unfortunately the firmware is not working the cube comes up with an error when i try to re-flash - iv'e resigned to the fact its had it's day although i will remove the 500 gig HD Before it go's in the bin,
Anyone have one? or has had one? I know i have attempted the flash correctly several times, its just not taking the firmware, i can't find anywhere else on line to get the firmware from, So i decided to go to Curry's to search for a replacement / alternative, The assistant informed me that i don't need an in between anymore and that if i simply purchase a HDMI (female) to USB Adapter and then plugged a Hard Drive on the end of it, this would be a suitable replacement to watch our movies again!
Would this work? We have a Panasonic Vierra 42" (not smart tv) with no USB Ports on the rear, It works absolutely fine and i am in the mind of if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
So, i guess i'm looking for some help please - solutions or fix for the movie cube would be great, failing that an alternative solution to put all of our movies on and enjoy them once again.
Any help, info, suggestions or ideas would be very much appreciated, I've added a couple of pics to show the movie cube.
Kind Regards
Slimmy46

Attachments

• 20190915_124020.jpg
    20190915_124020.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20190915_124011.jpg
    20190915_124011.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 20190915_124003.jpg
    20190915_124003.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Thanks Formandvoid, Ive been pulling my hair out searching today - i'm trying to find something that's user family for the wife and kids, much rather a built in Hard Drive than have to plug an external into another device - Something thats going to hold up well, it's a mine Field!

Last edited:
That's the one Cactikid! Thank you so much, that's exactly what I'm after, anywhere in particular where to go for this?

Yeh, searched after you posted and couldn't see anything available, something such as that would be ideal - thanks for your help

(Hope his is in the right section, apologies if it isn't)
Hi
Thanks for looking in, Ok this is a long shot, and hope someone can help?
I have had the above Movie Cube for approx 10 years, its been fantastic, I have stored loads of Movies and Music on it over the years, As a family we have really enjoyed it, Winter evenings, a take away and a good old movie - Perfect!
However Unfortunately, recently the Movie Cube wouldn't boot up, i figured it was time to perhaps flash it with the latest firmware, i took it upon myself to back everything up, so disconnected the power, HDMI, etc and connected it to my pc via USB / Printer cable, i could see everything in designated folders, all the kids movies, our Movies and Music etc, although it took some time, i managed to get everything off which is still currently sitting on my Desktop / PC.
The great thing about this was it had a USB Dongle and so i could connect to my Desktop / pc and drag and drop a movie into a folder which would then place the movie on the cube whilst still connected to my tv, Unfortunately the firmware is not working the cube comes up with an error when i try to re-flash - iv'e resigned to the fact its had it's day although i will remove the 500 gig HD Before it go's in the bin,
Anyone have one? or has had one? I know i have attempted the flash correctly several times, its just not taking the firmware, i can't find anywhere else on line to get the firmware from, So i decided to go to Curry's to search for a replacement / alternative, The assistant informed me that i don't need an in between anymore and that if i simply purchase a HDMI (female) to USB Adapter and then plugged a Hard Drive on the end of it, this would be a suitable replacement to watch our movies again!
Would this work? We have a Panasonic Vierra 42" (not smart tv) with no USB Ports on the rear, It works absolutely fine and i am in the mind of if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
So, i guess i'm looking for some help please - solutions or fix for the movie cube would be great, failing that an alternative solution to put all of our movies on and enjoy them once again.
Any help, info, suggestions or ideas would be very much appreciated, I've added a couple of pics to show the movie cube.
Kind Regards
Slimmy46
Hi slimmy46,
I got similar issue with my old R700 recently. I haven't used it for years but recently found some interesting advantages ;-)
I tried to flash it with the dongle and it screwed (?) up things for several weeks.
I realized that the files required for upgrading the firmware might not be appropriate.
I missed for instance the part.txt file which seems to be the parameter file for the upgrade.
I also noticed the HDD provided in standard might not be the best ever ;-) and might require some fix as well.
Where do you stand with your problem ?

Hi Gnosus,
Transferred everything to an external HD and plug into my pc, then installed plex on my firestick, logged onto my same network and voila! Watch everything through plex using my pc as a server, it works well, I cant seem bring myself to parting with the movie cube though! Lol! Its tucked away in a drawer doing nothing - thanks for info, much appreciated

Back