Entry level android box recommendations

Hi, a friend of mine has asked me about getting an android TV box but doesn't want to jump straight in and pay a lot if he doesn't like them. I was thinking of just telling him to get a cheap MXQ box for around £15 but I think the sluggish 1gb ram would put him off upgrading to a decent box. Any recommendations on an entry level 2gb box?

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of recommending the MXIII, although twice the price of the MXQ. But then there is also the Beelink Mini MX or Mini M8S, which are in the same price bracket as the older MXIII's, but with higher specs.

£31.76 for the one i linked to above, same sort of price as the Beelink MiniMX & Mini M8S & same sort of specs other than the mini mx has 16gb rom & they both have Lollipop which i don't like, much prefer KitKat. Most 2gb ram units are that sort of price, you'll get 1gb ram units cheaper but some of those are sluggish & don't work as well as a 2gb ram unit. I always look for decent rom support before i buy too.

Yep second that the mx111 with the extra gb ram does make a diffence and we'll worth the extra few quid

Is there any custom firmware for the Mini M8S & can it be rooted because i've looked & can't find anything.

Just seen a review on youtube & it says the box comes pre-rooted which is a good start :)

Last edited:
Good choice mx111 and m8s quite similar in makeup and any box that has an extra gb ram does make a diffence and gives it that extra bit of grunt

Sent from my SM-T533 using Tapatalk

my mini m8s box arrived the other day and so far so good - picture quality and sound OK using HDMI cable to TV - HDMI cable provided was very short so ordered another - PSU cable also short but got over that - couple of the Apps not so good - I put CartoonHD on without difficulty via the browser on the box - that appears to work reasonably well - cant say the same for Megabox though - but for less than £30 an excellent buy for a 2G/8G box - She who must be obeyed restricts my time playing with this box - so that's it for now.

Satboynoob with these boxes all what you want will be in kodi , plenty of addons posted in andriod forum for download , happy viewing cheers .........

Sent from my SM-T533 using Tapatalk

Have you checked to see if there's an ota update? I've read on some sites the ota cocks everything up, removes installed apps & playstore.

Have you checked to see if there's an ota update? I've read on some sites the ota cocks everything up, removes installed apps & playstore.
when i loaded CartoonHD my box messaged me that there was an update and it updated automatically with no probs - haven't needed to update the box firmware or Kodi yet as the latest versions were installed.

I've ordered one just to try it out 

I don't know too much about these android boxes - got a few pointers off youtube - "redskull" gives a good intro on the Mini M8S android box
If you get it from gearbest I doubt you will loose any money if you wish to sell it on.

Back