EPGImport freezes, where to start diagnosis?

Geoff_T

GigaBlue 4k UE running OpenVix 6.3.007

I have been having EPG Import issues for a couple of days, sometimes it would work, sometimes not. I initially thought the issue was at my IPTV providers end, but they say it's all OK.

I've tried both the "original" EPG Import and the dorik1972 mod version, but neither work and just freeze at some point in the download.

I'm back using the original EPG import with for testing just have a single source selected (Rytec UK/Ireland-Sports/Movies). When I do a manual update the download starts and gets to a few events (typically between 30 to 60) and then the number just stays at that. The box carries on working but the event numbers never increase (even after leaving it 30 mins or more). Pressing manual update again gives the message "update already in progress please wait". The log file is empty, so I have no clue as to the problem. I have to restart the GUI eventually to stop it running.

It looks to me as if I've maybe got a corrupt file somewhere, but I haven't a clue which file(s) to look at. Any thoughts on where to start? Thanks

In epgimport press menu then Show log

It might show an error then blue to save log

It could be an issue with a source

This will save the log in tmp epgimport.log

Upload here if needed but edit out any provider URLs filst

GigaBlue 4k UE running OpenVix 6.3.007

I have been having EPG Import issues for a couple of days, sometimes it would work, sometimes not. I initially thought the issue was at my IPTV providers end, but they say it's all OK.

I've tried both the "original" EPG Import and the dorik1972 mod version, but neither work and just freeze at some point in the download.

I'm back using the original EPG import with for testing just have a single source selected (Rytec UK/Ireland-Sports/Movies). When I do a manual update the download starts and gets to a few events (typically between 30 to 60) and then the number just stays at that. The box carries on working but the event numbers never increase (even after leaving it 30 mins or more). Pressing manual update again gives the message "update already in progress please wait". The log file is empty, so I have no clue as to the problem. I have to restart the GUI eventually to stop it running.

It looks to me as if I've maybe got a corrupt file somewhere, but I haven't a clue which file(s) to look at. Any thoughts on where to start? Thanks
I'd delete the epg first then run epgimporter again.
Not sure of the menus on Vix but on oatv it's menu, setup, EPG, load/save/delete EPG data.

Delete it and reboot and run epgimporter again

In epgimport press menu then Show log

It might show an error then blue to save log

It could be an issue with a source

This will save the log in tmp epgimport.log

Upload here if needed but edit out any provider URLs filst
I've tried that but the log is empty.

I'd delete the epg first then run epgimporter again.
Not sure of the menus on Vix but on oatv it's menu, setup, EPG, load/save/delete EPG data.

Delete it and reboot and run epgimporter again
Thanks for the suggestion. I've Just tried that.

Deleted epg cache, rebooted, ran epg import manual update, same thing - gets to 52 events and then just stays there. It's only been a few minutes so far, but in the past when it was working the number of events changed pretty quickly and the import only took a minute or 2 maximum to complete.

Enable debug logs, restart, repeat process, check debug logs. It will tell you where it is failing. One of the servers may have an issue.

Enable debug logs, restart, repeat process, check debug logs. It will tell you where it is failing. One of the servers may have an issue.
Ok, done that and looking at log file on screen (don't know how to save it to file so reading and typing form screen!)

there are lots of lines saying

EPGImport importEvents exception SystemError <built in function eEPGCache_importEvents>returned a result with an exception set

then Unhandled error in Deferred.

If I find out how to save it, I will post the relevant bits up

OK, found the debug log. I think this is the relevant bit:

1904.7548> [EPGImport] ### importEvents exception: SystemError('<built-in function eEPGCache_importEvents> returned a result with an exception set')
< 1904.7552> [EPGImport] ### importEvents exception: SystemError('<built-in function eEPGCache_importEvents> returned a result with an exception set')
< 1904.7563> [EPGImport] ### importEvents exception: SystemError('<built-in function eEPGCache_importEvents> returned a result with an exception set')
< 1904.7568> [EPGImport] ### importEvents exception: SystemError('<built-in function eEPGCache_importEvents> returned a result with an exception set')
< 1904.7591> Unhandled error in Deferred:
< 1904.7603>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3.11/threading.py", line 1038, in _bootstrap_inner

File "/usr/lib/python3.11/threading.py", line 975, in run

File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/twisted/_threads/_threadworker.py", line 47, in work

File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/twisted/_threads/_team.py", line 182, in doWork

--- <exception caught here> ---
File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/twisted/python/threadpool.py", line 244, in inContext

File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/twisted/python/threadpool.py", line 260, in <lambda>

File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/twisted/python/context.py", line 117, in callWithContext

File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/twisted/python/context.py", line 82, in callWithContext

File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/EPGImport/EPGImport.py", line 292, in doThreadRead

File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/EPGImport/EPGImport.py", line 287, in importEvents

File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/EPGImport/log.py", line 29, in write

builtins.AttributeError: '_io.StringIO' object has no attribute 'reset'

I don't use EPG Importer, but tried it for you. I have posted a slightly different error on the forum where the Rytec team are.

Code:
18:50:03.6755 [EPGImport][urlDownload] Downloading: http://rytecepg.dyndns.tv/epg_data/rytecUK_SkyLive.xz to local path: /media/hdd/rytecepg.dyndns.tvepg_data.xz
18:50:18.7030 [EPGImport][threadGetPage] error:  HTTPConnectionPool(host='rytecepg.dyndns.tv', port=80): Max retries exceeded with url: /epg_data/rytecUK_SkyLive.xz (Caused by ConnectTimeoutError(<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0xadaf0bf0>, 'Connection to rytecepg.dyndns.tv timed out. (connect timeout=15)'))
18:50:18.7032 [EPGImport][downloadFail] download failed: HTTPConnectionPool(host='rytecepg.dyndns.tv', port=80): Max retries exceeded with url: /epg_data/rytecUK_SkyLive.xz (Caused by ConnectTimeoutError(<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0xadaf0bf0>, 'Connection to rytecepg.dyndns.tv timed out. (connect timeout=15)'))

I am not 100% sure, but Vix had a separate download location, so check on their forum. Maybe I am mixing up with CrossEPG, so sorry if I am wrong. But you will be more than likely be advised to use OpenTV EPG zapper.

I have the same UHD UE 4K box but using open atv7.2 and epg import is working fine. Could be provider issue or system is corrupt and needs reflash. Have you checked the drive where you are saving the epg. Maybe a bit late now but for future reference if you have to reflash it's a good idea to create a full backup of your system when it is all setup so if you get any issues you can restore it.

Yes its typical - I had it on my to do list, once I was happy with all the settings and tweets, to do a full backup..........but I hadn't quite got there!

The drive storing the epg.dat is the internal SSD and all seems fine with that.

Just go into the epg section of the main menu and delete epg cache.

Restart GUI and then import manually.

EPG is imported to RAM. It saved to the storage device on graceful restart/shut down.

Wild goose chase/red herring looking at the storage device.

Thanks for everyone's advice and help on this.

I haven't got to the bottom of my specific issue, but I have now switched to using e-channelizer and have managed to link most of the IPTV channels that I actually use to a DVB satellite service. This seems to be working well and for my needs might be a more reliable way of doing it anyway.

I just have to hope that I don't have an inherent issue that is going to come back and bite me later.

I've just done a full image backup anyway and scheduled a regular backup too.

that is one thing with epg importer why not setting to enable log to be saved rather than just save log from when you are in epgimporter.

Back