ESB Electric Ireland Customers

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many of you may know this already but just in case you are an ESB Electric Ireland Customer and don't know?

Here it is!

All existing customers are entitled to a discount on their electricity bill following the changes made under the new competition rules & for not jumping ship to one of the other providers but the sting in the tail is that you have to go get it yourself!

I think it is one of the most devious methods I've come across in a long time.

They didn't apply the discount automatically

They didn't correspond with customers via letter\post

The slimy ba*tards put a little notice on your paper bill informing you that you need to phone a particular number and see what you could save (In other words, phone and request the discount to be applied.)

I for one rush home every month full of anticipation to get my electricity bill and spend an hour reading all the interesting stuff therein, NOT!

At best I might read the total amount due and bitch about it for a few minutes lol

Oh! and what about the customers that pay via direct debit every month and don't even receive a paper bill? Ah! they may have been fortunate enough to see the little advertisement in the national papers worded so tastefully that they might not have twigged what it actually meant?

This little gift to loyal customers comes with some T's & C's too don't you know :(

So if you are a customer and haven't done so yet, get on the phone and get your entitlements.

Here's the bumf:

Call 1850 30 50 90 (Have your account number to hand).

Choose option 1 from the automated menu.

Tell the representative you want to claim you discount entitlements.

Here are the options available to you at this point.

8% free gratis for being a loyal customer.

2% extra if you are willing to wave your paper bill (you know? the one that was used to kinda tell you about this offer) and run with online billing instead.

4% extra if you are not an existing payee via direct debit but agree to go direct debit.

That's it basically, there's a total discount of 14% if you agree to all the conditions or 8% if you decide to tell them to shove their online billing and direct debit.

I just hate the way they cover themselves technically by telling all their customer but not really telling them at all if you get my drift.

This is pretty typical with a lot of companies Gman, they are hoping you won't notice and they just keep the extra for themselves and yes it is very slimy of them and trust me they had lawyers go over this and just keep it within a hair of being legal ;)

I kept meaning to do this, just never got around to doing it, must do it soon, thanks Gman

I kept meaning to do this, just never got around to doing it, must do it soon, thanks Gman

That suggests that you knew about this and never told us lol lol lol

Are you working for them now wheelo? LOL :leaving:

Gman, I work:quote: for a different semi-state - Dublin Bus, but this was all over the Dublin news stations about 6-8 weeks ago, in fact I think it was on RTE TV news as my father in law, rang me and ranted for nearly an hour about it. I have to admit, iI assumed everyone knew about it, but then again, you know what they say about ASSUME - it makes an ASS out of U and ME (y)

Gman, I work:quote: for a different semi-state - Dublin Bus, but this was all over the Dublin news stations about 6-8 weeks ago, in fact I think it was on RTE TV news as my father in law, rang me and ranted for nearly an hour about it. I have to admit, iI assumed everyone knew about it, but then again, you know what they say about ASSUME - it makes an ASS out of U and ME (y)

Sure I know the score well wheelo, I was only winding you up lol

You're right about the ASSUME though. I was surprised at how many didn't know about it until I looked at the way the ESB marketed it, then I could see the slime all over it (y)

There was definitely a touch of underhandedness about this "promotion", it should have definitely been credited to ALL customers automatically.

thanks G i didnt know about this but it wont affect me i changed over to bord gais last year but will spread the word to family and friends (y)

Back