Windows Vista Experiencing Slow Internet Speeds

Well recently my internet speeds have drastacally been reduced. I am with virgin media on a 10mb broadband but I am only getting 3mb out of it.

I was getting speeds of 9Mb even during peak hours before. It honestly has disrupted my online gaming experience on PC and Xbox 360 and i'm wondering if you guys got any tips on what I should do.

This was on 29/12/09

Today 8/1/10

Hi you should bet getting optimum speeds at all times during the day due to the fact it's via fibre optics. However if you've been dowloading VM will cap your speak during peak hours to reduce traffic. Refer to their traffic management policies. Hope this helps. Cheers

Thanks. I just took a look at the policies and it says that if i downloaded over 1.5gb i would receive a cap of 2.5mb for the next 5 hours. However, the last time i remember downloading was 2 weeks ago and it was a mass download of about 10GB :whistling: so does that count and explain why my speed is being capped? :S

Edit: Also i've just been using a program call DU meter which actually analyses my traffic... and in 2 hours ive only transferred about 70mb of data. Thats about 175mb in 5 hours which is no where near the 1.5gb limit in 5 hours.

Another Edit:
All I had to do was reset my router.. so simple... >_> lol. But i don't like that upload speed. Any ideas? :p

Last edited:
I too am with VM and had lots of trouble with my net let alone speeds over the last few months.
Ill do a test and let you know what my speeds are but i should be getting about 10mb

This is early morning here at 9am, by luchtime/evening its so low, but then thats maybe due to kids home from school etc

i very rarely download anything

Last edited:
Hi yeah I think the max time you should be resticted for is 12 hrs depending on the speed you opted for. If you call VM tech support they should be able to do some " ping tests" and check your broadband speed and hopefully rectify

ok i know this is an old thread but one i started a couple of weeks ago has gone due to hackers.

I upgraded to 20mb and this a few mins ago i dd a speed test
22296471.png

my upload speed is still pretty poor but dl is good.
I have also upgraded to a new router N= and have finally got a new modem from VM - my other one was about 10 yrs old and not compatible with new technology - im also running a new pc on windows 7

If you are on a 10MB broadband connection Virmin Media and you do download more than the quota allowed during peak times, then your connection will be throttled up to 75% for 5 hours since you were throttled. After that, you should experience normal speeds again.

well i never or very rarely upload anything - other than photos to PB and sites, and dont down load much - other than webpages and the odd programe etc - no movies games music etc my son dl's music but thats not til around late afternoon after 5pm so why are upload speeds so bad? i would have thought they should be similar.
This time of day ( after school) i would expect speeds to be lower and kids are home from schools and use net for pcs or gaming

760027381.png

this is mine and i think this is speedy gonzales fast, as i was so used to dial up until 12 months ago, might upgrade with NTL now my 12 months are upLOL

wheelo what speed are you paying for lol! Dial up 12 months ago OMG i havent used dial up for about 10 yrs so what ever you got must be great compared to that.

I thought everyone had been on broadband for years.

you could try a tcp optimiser ?

this makes sure your are getting the best from your isp

before
760392760.png

after
760399161.png

as you can see didnt do much for me but i am getting pretty good results for a 10mb connection

It makes a backup of your settings so you can restore if needed

Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/367916818/TCPOptimizer.rar
password: buckrodgers

Last edited:
ok thanks got that but erm what do i need to do - sorry its a bit over my head i clicked on a couple of things that said start and id did things but unsure of what its done lol!
plus ive got win7 - its says its for xp does it make a difference.
my speed now is :

mm second one is better so does that mean by click start on that optimiser i did something right lol the upload is better and my download is now upto 19 - but its mid morning - after about 4pm it will go down lol

Last edited:
Back