FAQ: Should I Buy A Cable Box?

I have VM broadband but never had VM TV. Would a box still work if I split the signal to the router having never had the TV services?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I have VM broadband but never had VM TV. Would a box still work if I split the signal to the router having never had the TV services?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

yeah it will work, its the same feed for all. Buy a two way splitter kit and your sorted, oh and you'll need a vm line as well

Last edited:
As my man above says ... although, just to clarify, you don't need to take out a vm sub as in take out a tv sub with them, he means a vm gift / line to clear the subscription channels :)

ste thats best write up in a long time very helpful to new starters :(y)::(y)::(y)::(y):

Yeah, just helps to answer a lot of those common questions and gives a bit of advice to people at the same time... hopefully it helps some people :)

Hi all
As sly has now gone down and I think I'm right in thinking that my zgemma star 2s is now useless I'm thinking about a cable box. what box is it best for me to purchase and from where? I'd still like to watch one channel while I still have the option to record another. Which zgemma box is best to buy or would you recommend upgrading to something like a mutant hd51? I assume I'll also need a vm gift? Should I purchase from fleas bay or can someone recommend anyone?
Thanks in advance chris

Hi
Am considering buying a zgemma H5.2TC cable box. Hav read on that ste uses wooshbuild , does this come installed on box as standard or do u have to specify. Have only used openvix before. Which one is best/easiest for box.
Cheers.

Hi
Am considering buying a zgemma H5.2TC cable box. Hav read on that ste uses wooshbuild , does this come installed on box as standard or do u have to specify. Have only used openvix before. Which one is best/easiest for box.
Cheers.

Any box you buy from zgemma or ebay etc. will come with a plain image on there - you need to install Wooshbuild yourself which is pretty simple to do and freely available plus there's always people on here at hand to help you :)

I just want a reliable cablebox that has a twin hybrid tuner so I can record 1 channel while viewing another. Thought zgemma h5.2tc was that box. Something simple and easy to set up.

Reactions: ste
Love this thread. Has helped me so much in making a decision on what to go for next. I have VM broadband and had a TIVO box 3 years ago so that splitter/connection is still there. Just need a connector and a box now :)

Love this thread. Has helped me so much in making a decision on what to go for next. I have VM broadband and had a TIVO box 3 years ago so that splitter/connection is still there. Just need a connector and a box now :)

No problem - I have motorised satellite so never miss a 3pm game or anything else for that matter :)

Let me know how you get on.
Thanks for the OP Ste, I reckon it's what a lot of us needed to know right now! Defo me.
I'm also using a motorised dish with a Technomate tm-2t box.
I'm looking at a Zgemma with a cable tunner but would also like to keep a euro sub on satellite. So, is the Zgemma compatible with a motorised dish alongside a cable sub?

Thanks for the OP Ste, I reckon it's what a lot of us needed to know right now! Defo me.
I'm also using a motorised dish with a Technomate tm-2t box.
I'm looking at a Zgemma with a cable tunner but would also like to keep a euro sub on satellite. So, is the Zgemma compatible with a motorised dish alongside a cable sub?
Depends on which Zgemma you are looking at.

The most common, H2S only has a Satellite tuner, whereas the H2H has both Satellite and Cable Tuner

Thanks for the replies.
Not knowing if my motor or lnb is compatible I'll probably try a usb cable tuner first. Or try and borrow a Zgemma box.

Thanks for the great OP Ste. I've learned a lot from your posts. I have a Zgemma H2H with active VM bb connection. The problem that I have when using a splitter is that the superhub 3 stops working and says there isn't an internet connection. When I remove the splitter and plug the superhub straight to the virgin line the issue is gone.
I am replacing the splitter with a Technetix one that you recommended on another thread, I was just wondering whether I need to do anything else to prevent the superhub 3 from having this issue in the future ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back