Fibre broadband

Borzio

Hi Guys, I'm once again looking at getting fibre in the home. Presently I'm near end of Talktalk and am now free to go with whoever.
Openreach installed fibre in the street last year and it's live, my neighbours have it at the 100+ speed. I don't want Virgin.
I'm looking at a 65mb speed with Unlimited phone, as that is what the Boss wants, so that rules out the highest speeds. There are plenty of broadband checkers who say I can get what I want until I try doing so, then I'm told there is no fibre in my location.
I've spent too many hours asking TT, Plusnet etc why I can't get it, and when will I be able and no-one in these damn call centers can tell me.
So, anyone know why not?, anyone know a ISP who can?, or if it is technically impossible for the ISPs to provide anything other than 100+ speeds, can I keep my phone line as a separate from the fibre and get a cheap phone only package?
Thanks in advance

This is all guess work only you know your postcode and know what provider/speeds you can get. There's plenty of ISP's who provide speeds above 100MB. What's wrong with Virgin?

Getting an ISP with 100+ isn't the problem, it's getting one with lower speed with inclusive phone. ISPs with 100+ don't do this as it is a dedicated fibre into the house, as opposed to from the local cabinet with the final part through the phone line. That part I get, just don't get why I can't get an ISP with the latter.
Had Virgin before at previous address, swore I'd never use them again as I had sh*t service throughout the contract.

I didn't think anyone used landlines any more?
I've not used mine in ten years.

You can get unlimited mobile phone deals now for a few quid a month

I didn't think anyone used landlines any more?
I've not used mine in ten years.

You can get unlimited mobile phone deals now for a few quid a month
Loads of people still use landlines. You'd be suprised how many households with a homeowner over 60 still have a landline.

The only time I ever pick it up is to tell a scammer to eff off.
That's the only time it rings.
It's only there because VM bundle it with broadband and it's more expensive without the phone
Yup, I have a family member who has a landline purely because it was cheaper having it do nothing than just broadband only. Very strange.

I am the same, I have a landline purely because my VM bundle was cheaper with it rather than without, as @TheSource says 'Very Strange' why this is so. The landline is very rarely used, and never by me. Mind you come to think of it my mobile is very rarely used (for phone calls) either!

I am the same, I have a landline purely because my VM bundle was cheaper with it rather than without, as @TheSource says 'Very Strange' why this is so. The landline is very rarely used, and never by me. Mind you come to think of it my mobile is very rarely used (for phone calls) either!

In our household we have basic landline with VM and then anytime landline with TT.

Latter is robbing is blind but I will get that cancelled later this year for good and try to get VM to take that landline.

If my parents didn't use landline every day would have got rid years ago.

In our household we have basic landline with VM and then anytime landline with TT.

Latter is robbing is blind but I will get that cancelled later this year for good and try to get VM to take that landline.

If my parents didn't use landline every day would have got rid years ago.
VM/TT are bumping your bill up a few quid mate hardly robbing you blind lol. Your making out Virgin/TT are breaking down your door robbing your Fridge Freezer and using your tooth brush. :LOL:

VM/TT are bumping your bill up a few quid mate hardly robbing you blind lol. Your making out Virgin/TT are breaking down your door robbing your Fridge Freezer and using your tooth brush. :LOL:

TT are robbing us more than VM simply because we don't use TT for their other services just the landline.

So that for me is much different to VM because of TTs price for services which are not good enough.

Hi Guys, I'm once again looking at getting fibre in the home. Presently I'm near end of Talktalk and am now free to go with whoever.
Openreach installed fibre in the street last year and it's live, my neighbours have it at the 100+ speed. I don't want Virgin.
I'm looking at a 65mb speed with Unlimited phone, as that is what the Boss wants, so that rules out the highest speeds. There are plenty of broadband checkers who say I can get what I want until I try doing so, then I'm told there is no fibre in my location.
I've spent too many hours asking TT, Plusnet etc why I can't get it, and when will I be able and no-one in these damn call centers can tell me.
So, anyone know why not?, anyone know a ISP who can?, or if it is technically impossible for the ISPs to provide anything other than 100+ speeds, can I keep my phone line as a separate from the fibre and get a cheap phone only package?
Thanks in advance

I recently, a week or so ago, got fibre installed
Openreach put fibre to the pole over xmas, all ISPs were still telling me it wasnt available,
until,
I spoke to one of the openreach guys doing the cabs, he said only BT could provide it for the first (whatever, he couldnt remember exactly)
anyhow, I now have 74M fibre for £28month, hitting a regular 60Meg+ DL
check BT website
they could provide me with almost 1Gig if I had wanted to pay stupid (for me) money

I recently, a week or so ago, got fibre installed
Openreach put fibre to the pole over xmas, all ISPs were still telling me it wasnt available,
until,
I spoke to one of the openreach guys doing the cabs, he said only BT could provide it for the first (whatever, he couldnt remember exactly)
anyhow, I now have 74M fibre for £28month, hitting a regular 60Meg+ DL
check BT website
they could provide me with almost 1Gig if I had wanted to pay stupid (for me) money

Have to say BT have ambitious plans to get around 20 million homes fibre to premises in around a few years.

1gig speeds in the next few years could be the norm for quite alot of the UK which is a plus seeing how far behind we are compared to more advanced countries like China and Japan.

I'm still on aluminium wire where I live not even cable! but after lots of mithering from me Openreach this morning put some posts in the ground with notices on saying they intend to erect some telegraph poles so fingers crossed we finally get fibre.

Back