Firestick and Vpn

mickmac

I've got nordvpn on pc, phone, tablet, vu+ box and the 2nd gen Firestick
With the vpn turned off all the devices have 70mb download speeds
With the vpn turned on all the devices with the exception of the firestick have 50mb d/l speeds.
So basically no matter which vpn server I connect to I can never get much above 20mb d/l speed on the firestick. Anybody know why this is ?

Same here on ipvanish and digibit, on my phone I get about 60mb, on my firestick about 30mb

What I don't understand is, that without the vpn on I get 70mb on the firestick, but using the same vpn server I get 50mb on my pc but only 20mb on the firestick. Any ideas why ? Oh and both are using a wired connection

Cheers

Last edited:
It will depend on the protocol used on the vpn server, most use openvpn either with tcp or udp. Your firestick will not have the same processing power as your pc. All devices will vary on a vpn you never get your full bandwidth, or connection speed. Some devices handle a vpn better than others i use a dns on my network adapter which helps a lot. The vpn will install a virtual adapter which has its own preconfiguration added to it contaning there dns settings and protocols required. Usually a drop between 15-25% can be expected, sometimes more, but luckily most people internet connections nowadays are more than enough to stream, but especially on wi fi theres still issues with buffering playback error, streaming needs a constant connection to a device so youve done the best thing to hard wire the firestick. Fluctuations on wi fi can cause a stream to freeze, stutter, buffer everyone automatically blames the provider when most times its the type of connection used,device used location, other devices on the network etc.

Last edited:
It will depend on the protocol used on the vpn server, most use openvpn either with tcp or udp. Your firestick will not have the same processing power as your pc. All devices will vary on a vpn you never get your full bandwidth, or connection speed. Some devices handle a vpn better than others i use a dns on my network adapter which helps a lot. The vpn will install a virtual adapter which has its own preconfiguration added to it contaning there dns settings and protocols required. Usually a drop between 15-25% can be expected, sometimes more, but luckily most people internet connections nowadays are more than enough to stream, but especially on wi fi theres still issues with buffering playback error, streaming needs a constant connection to a device so youve done the best thing to hard wire the firestick. Fluctuations on wi fi can cause a stream to freeze, stutter, buffer everyone automatically blames the provider when most times its the type of connection used,device used location, other devices on the network etc.
Thanks very much mate that seems to make sense, do you think that the new firestick that comes out next month will make any difference

Is it that important what speeds you are getting ? If it doesn't freeze then there's nothing to worry about

Have you tried changing VPN Servers ? I find some are faster than others

Last edited:
Is it that important what speeds you are getting ? If it doesn't freeze then there's nothing to worry about

Have you tried changing VPN Servers ? I find some are faster than others
Yes mate I,ve tried loads of different servers which are fine with the other devices (which get d/l speeds of 50mb) I just seem to get freezing but only on fhd stuff on the Firestick( which never gets a d/l speed greater than 20 mb)

Yes mate I,ve tried loads of different servers which are fine with the other devices (which get d/l speeds of 50mb) I just seem to get freezing but only on fhd stuff on the Firestick( which never gets a d/l speed greater than 20 mb)

Ok, is it a 1st gen or 2nd gen firestick ?
My VPN provider says that 1st gen doesn't run properly, and they recommend the 2nd gen

2nd Gen, the one with alexa

All i can suggest is trying a different provider like DigiBit or IpVanish, my firestick ( about 35meg ) is slower than my phone ( 60meg ) but faster than my computer ( 20meg ).
It could be that the wireless signal on your firestick isn't as strong as your other devices
Has it always been slow or did it start recently ?

Have tried it wireless and it's a lot worse, I,m using the standard firestick adapter to make it wired

I think its just something we have to live with if we use a VPN. Some channels on one of my two providers freeze with the VPN and others do not.
When i turn off the VPN all the freezing stops. It's a small sacrifice to stay secure in my opinion. This is why i sub to two providers, if one is playing up i have the other one to fall back on.

My main provider has no freezing whatsoever on any of the channels with or without VPN, so it comes down to provider too.

Last edited:
Back