Firesticks not being detected on HDMI ports

GJ1973

Help !

Two separate fire sticks at two completely separate houses (family members).

One was purchased 3 years ago and one less than 6 months. Both have worked fine until now.

Firstly my nephew advised last week that he’s firestick was no longer getting a signal to the tv HDMI ports and then my cousin has reported the exact same issue !

I’ve plugged the fire sticks to the wall socket rather than using the usb to power the stick but makes no difference.

All three HDMI inputs on the tv work fine as I’ve tried chromecast and other things and the signal picks up no problem.
It’s got to be something to do with the firesticks. I’ve tried different power leads and I’ve also tried with and without the HDMI extender on the firestick but again it’s made absolutely no difference.

Also tried various ways of rebooting the tv/firestick as per certain suggestions via google but nothing.

So weird this. Can anyone provide any help or had something similar and know of a fix ? Would really appreciate it as this is driving me insane now !

Can you select the HDMI input ?
or do you just get no picture or sound?
If the TVs are different resolutions maybe the Firstick is set to a resolution that the TV can't handle.
Try a different HDMI input. In the past that's how I dealt with similar issues

Can you select the HDMI input ?
or do you just get no picture or sound?
If the TVs are different resolutions maybe the Firstick is set to a resolution that the TV can't handle.
Try a different HDMI input. In the past that's how I dealt with similar issues
I can select any of the HDMI’s on the TV but when you go into them it doesn’t pick up that the firestick is inserted. It just say “ No Signal “ ie as if nothing is actually in the HDMI port.

I can select any of the HDMI’s on the TV but when you go into them it doesn’t pick up that the firestick is inserted. It just say “ No Signal “ ie as if nothing is actually in the HDMI port.
I have one here with the same problem tried the same things. I did think it was a power issue though to be fair. Any ideas or fixes for this would be great.

You may have already tried this but when I had similar issue I powered up the firestick and gave it a minute to make sure it should be ready to go, then pressed up and rewind at the same time for 10 seconds before releasing the buttons. This sends the firestick searching through all available video resolutions as mine had been set to a resolution not compatible with tv. Each available resolution is tried at around 15 second intervals (if after 2 minutes you still have no signal it is not resolution problem as it will have completed the cycle of tests) However If screen suddenly shows a picture press the large central/ok button to select the resolution. My sons stick had a different problem with same symptoms which was rectified by trying a different micro usb power lead and plug which was a 5v and either 1 or 1.5 amp (can't remember which amperage for sure) from a mobile phone. I think standard firestick power source is 5.25 v and 1 amp.

Yep sounds like it could be a power issue. Try a different power lead and plug if you could borrow one of a friend or someone who has one. It's worth a try

Yep sounds like it could be a power issue. Try a different power lead and plug if you could borrow one of a friend or someone who has one. It's worth a try
Tried that with mine but no joy, I will try @1999gtv suggestion on the resolution see if that works.

Last edited:
You may have already tried this but when I had similar issue I powered up the firestick and gave it a minute to make sure it should be ready to go, then pressed up and rewind at the same time for 10 seconds before releasing the buttons. This sends the firestick searching through all available video resolutions as mine had been set to a resolution not compatible with tv. Each available resolution is tried at around 15 second intervals (if after 2 minutes you still have no signal it is not resolution problem as it will have completed the cycle of tests) However If screen suddenly shows a picture press the large central/ok button to select the resolution. My sons stick had a different problem with same symptoms which was rectified by trying a different micro usb power lead and plug which was a 5v and either 1 or 1.5 amp (can't remember which amperage for sure) from a mobile phone. I think standard firestick power source is 5.25 v and 1 amp.

Yeah I have tried this several times after reading about it on google but no luck unfortunately.

Also tried a different power lead, that didnt make any difference unfortunately.

No joy with the resolution settings method, various power leads plugged into main socket or 4 way think it's brown bread to be honest guys :grimacing:

No joy with the resolution settings method, various power leads plugged into main socket or 4 way think it's brown bread to be honest guys :grimacing:
Try blowing into hdmi port on firestick and tv I had same problem a while back and blew into both and worked may be a bit of dust stuck in to it

I do hope one is not inserting/removing things while powered on as things can blow,can it work on laptop.My chromecast stopped working and that needed an update but could still see screen.

I do hope one is not inserting/removing things while powered on as things can blow,can it work on laptop.My chromecast stopped working and that needed an update but could still see screen.
No i take great caution when unplugging and plugging in electrical devices.

Back