Firmware update fail on hd combo

MOG

Box delivered today...got hold of firmware (see previous thread!)..noted the latest firmware was on so tried following the tut on here from factory reset and auto scan. Once the scan finishedit says highlight accessories and press 8989 and key edit will appear (obviously cos its me key edit did not appear). Tried letting it update - no joy.
So tried to update the softwarefollowed tut selected groove f350 and sw& data update...gets to 20% and says update fail check usb memory tried reformatting (fat32) usb stick bought another and formatted it from the box still the same error.
Anyone else own one of these P.O.S and can help me set it up.
Also forgot to say ..brand new type with LAN port (if it makes a difference)
Thanks Bri

I read about a newer firmware available as that one you have just described was known for that problem. Unfortunately I don't have that box or the latest firmware but have a google and see if you can find the updated one which is confirmed working. I'll have a look now also.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

Sent you a link for them mate.

Reactions: MOG
Like I said thanks for having a go but I have the latest s/w on the box according to system info and I have it on a memory stick. Just cant seem to be able to switch the emu (or equivalent on) OR update it

Yeah..printed it off last night and followed it to the letter.
Did notice one thing though in the tut it says USB in utility menu on this unit is in accessory menu.
Could've been a typo OR it could indicate things changed a bit in s/w

Last edited:
When dooby`s on Brian he should be able to help you out as I`ve never had a chance to look at this box as we were hit with nagra 3 a while ago.

Heres hoping I get to try one of these soon :)

Box delivered today...got hold of firmware (see previous thread!)..noted the latest firmware was on so tried following the tut on here from factory reset and auto scan. Once the scan finishedit says highlight accessories and press 8989 and key edit will appear (obviously cos its me key edit did not appear). Tried letting it update - no joy.
So tried to update the softwarefollowed tut selected groove f350 and sw& data update...gets to 20% and says update fail check usb memory tried reformatting (fat32) usb stick bought another and formatted it from the box still the same error.
Anyone else own one of these P.O.S and can help me set it up.
Also forgot to say ..brand new type with LAN port (if it makes a difference)
Thanks Bri

Be very careful as there are now two HD Starview Combo boxes on the market with different firmware
Which one do you have.?
Please read BEFORE installing any firmware

The HD Combo + Box which has the lan ( please note this is the only model now in production so all are lan now there is no non lan to be produced ever again it was only the first 500 units ) will require the the lan software ( the new unit is actually called the starview hd combo +)

The first 500 non lan receivers will always require the non lan software which will always be available for those boxes this version will always work with the dongles to stop any confusion the mother boards are different

So lan box = lan software

Non lan box = non lan software even if you are using a dongle

This is Non-Ian firmware HERE

Non -Ian set up instructions HERE

Lan Firmware HERE

Lan set up instructions HERE

Last edited:
Million thanks to Dooby..ran first time with the right firmware. Seems like someone was nearly right Noel the old firmware doesn't work with LAN boxes.
Also thanks to all who tried.

i think more will follow putting wrong firmware on these boxes,always better to ask first and give all info lan or not,it would be nice to get some feed back on these boxes and i presume you are in uk and not irl(y)

i think more will follow putting wrong firmware on these boxes,always better to ask first and give all info lan or not,it would be nice to get some feed back on these boxes and i presume you are in uk and not irl(y)

Yeah I'm in the UK..and first impressions on this box are it's really good. Very easy to set up (with the right firmware) and the picture quality on HD is a real improvement over standard def... even though my TV is 720p not 1080 where I would imagine the difference would really show. Haven't had time to set the Sat or LAN up yet, cos Kids are stuck in front of Disney Channel, but that brings me to what lets the box down, which is there are so few HD channels on cable. I certainly wouldn't be upgrading to a HD subscription for so little. As for the firmware being wrong I had an idea this would happen because of something I had read elsewhere which I posted to Noel to check out.

Back