Flash ATV via command line from the creators GrogBuild FreeRange - Leading the way to simplicity

Ever done a software update and found the box won't boot?

Ever turn your box on and found it only boots up so far?

Every tried to flash online to flash online and found that your build is so old you don't have the option to flash the latest version of ATV via the Flash Online system?

Ever wanted to flash your box but have not got another spare USB stick?

Well I've now got a simple solution for you. It will find the latest nightly build of the current stable ATV and then flash your box. All you need is :

your existing USB/HDD mounted on /media/hdd, this should be the case for recordings etc, you do not need any additional usb stick formatted fat32

you need to be able to connect to your box via putty (or any other shell terminal program) or the openwebif terminal.

This tool does NOT backup your settings so make sure you do (if you can) before using.

SSH to your box using a terminal program such as putty, or using the terminal option of openWebIf in your browser and log in using the username root

Now paste all the code below into the terminal window. (right click on the terminal window to paste)

Code:
 wget --no-check-certificate -O installatv.sh https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqbo698rxconave/installatv.sh?dl=1 && bash installatv.sh

after a few seconds you will be asked to enter the box hostname, if you've never changed the hostname of your box then just accept the default by pressing enter key, if you are paranoid and have changed the hostname in the past then you need to enter the original hostname for your box, ie zgemmah52tc and then press the enter key.

Now you are prompted which partition you want flashed, this is for boxes with multiboot, if you don't use multiboot or your box doesn't have multiboot facilities just hit the enter key, if you are using multiboot enter the partition number and then press enter key. (Thanks to @Willo3092 for suggesting and testing Multiboot flashing)

The latest stable nightly build will then be downloaded to /media/hdd and your box flashed.

I am sure this will be copied, made into a plugin of some kind or added to another build but remember you saw it here first :)
Hi,

Please i tried to re-flash my box cos of blue screen. when i tried to flash using putty. i got this message at the bottom
''Error cannot flashfs because no rootfs file was found''

kindly advise,

cheers.

Hi,

Please i tried to re-flash my box cos of blue screen. when i tried to flash using putty. i got this message at the bottom
''Error cannot flashfs because no rootfs file was found''

kindly advise,

cheers.
you will need to flash using usb stick I am afraid, you could try online flashing if you can get your box booted up but probably get similar error.

you will need to flash using usb stick I am afraid, you could try online flashing if you can get your box booted up but probably get similar error.
The box is working as I'm using it for iptv. I just decided to change some settings and the blue screen shows after pressing ok. I tried to use online flashing on the box, no options showing. Its just blank. And i decided flash it with your method using putty. Now gave me that error.

The box is working as I'm using it for iptv. I just decided to change some settings and the blue screen shows after pressing ok. I tried to use online flashing on the box, no options showing. Its just blank. And i decided flash it with your method using putty. Now gave me that error.
Are you using whoosbuild if so you need to change to metrix hd skin then it will flash online.

@grog68 is there anywork around for that I tried yesterday to flash partition on zgemma h9 combo same error with openatv and vix command line flash. have an internal hard drive and sdcard mounted. Even added usb thumb drive and mounted that no joy.

No big deal my box is working but was just wondering because your grogbuild script works on the h9 combo just need to reboot manually when its done.

Are you using whoosbuild if so you need to change to metrix hd skin then it will flash online.
Thanks

Looking for reliable IPTV service using firestick 4k

FHD, HD, SD Channels
Full UK & USA channels inc sports
EPL & Ifollow matches
Full EPG
Built in VPN
Adult
PPV

Need a new supplier for 2 x zgemma boxes in same House.

FHD and HD channels
Full UK Sports
EPL & Ifollow matches
Full EPG with Sky look on Zgemma
No need for VPN
PPV (mainly all boxing)

@grog68 is there anywork around for that I tried yesterday to flash partition on zgemma h9 combo same error with openatv and vix command line flash. have an internal hard drive and sdcard mounted. Even added usb thumb drive and mounted that no joy.

No big deal my box is working but was just wondering because your grogbuild script works on the h9 combo just need to reboot manually when its done.
Hi Mate

I will be honest, I've not looked at it recently but this does only appear to happen on H9 boxes and I don't have one to play about with

@grog68 I think there may be a conflict between the latest ATV and your build. I reflashed a perfectly working H2S (I know its old) and I'm frequently getting the blue circle, and it's taking an age to do certain things.
When I pressed green to get into plugins, then clicked all4one it took about 6/7 minutes for it to open, then when I pressed blue to validate, it took about 20 minutes to validate.

I'm going to try roll it back to 6.2 and see how that goes, I'll let you know.

@grog68 I think there may be a conflict between the latest ATV and your build. I reflashed a perfectly working H2S (I know its old) and I'm frequently getting the blue circle, and it's taking an age to do certain things.
When I pressed green to get into plugins, then clicked all4one it took about 6/7 minutes for it to open, then when I pressed blue to validate, it took about 20 minutes to validate.

Pretty sure the bug is in the latest 6.4 updates which is causing all these problems over the last week and happening a lot with wooshbuild to and plain atv firmware.

i flashed it on a vu+ a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine, I do have it on my h2s with ATV 6.4 but it's not been flashed since September. I will reflash tomorrow if I get 5 minutes.

The unable to flash because of no rootfs has been about for a while with the H9 family of boxes

I do think ATV have made some changes recently as I have heard some users having similar issues to you when using WB. We all know ATV introduce things without fully testing and I'm wondering if they are testing on newer, more powerfull boxes and not checking on older boxes. I could be wrong though.

Basically Grogbuild (and WB) is just ATV with a few plugins and skins installed, there is nothing special in the build so not sure what can be causing any issues apart from ATV itself.

I don't use that plugin on my h2s as it's struggled with it for a long time and without it the box runs fine for satellite, but I will reflash my h2s and see how it goes.

Hi Grog
I flashed a h9 twin today with Grogbuild and had no problems,then did a software update 8 available because i wanted to update jedi and check it wouldn't crash like the other day with openatv 6.4.Updated ok but on my barebones atv it had 50 updates with lots of kernels so I left that alone.
Didn't use all4one but used Jedi and Xstreamity and all fine.

Hi Grog
I flashed a h9 twin today with Grogbuild and had no problems,then did a software update 8 available because i wanted to update jedi and check it wouldn't crash like the other day with openatv 6.4.Updated ok but on my barebones atv it had 50 updates with lots of kernels.
Didn't use all4one but used Jedi and Xstreamity and all fine.
I think the other day when not booting was different there were zgemma driver updates.

I think the other day when not booting was different there were zgemma driver updates.
Thanks Urie,
my plain openatv was from Sunday,going to flash a fresh image tomorrow.
like you said the other day this is the first problem I've had with the h9 twin in 14 months.

Back