Ford Fiesta Heated Front Screen Switch Stuck in On Position

36red

Windscreen frozen up today so decided to push in the button for the heater but it is stuck in :-(
Any ideas how to solve this and as long as its not lit I take it the battery won't be run down when the engine is off?

try giving it a few sharp taps,
if no luck there maybe a squirt of contact cleaner or IPA in around the switch while the ignition is off
dont be tempted to use WD40 or similar, the oil will just attract dust and make the issue worse in the long term

thanks mate, contact cleaner or IPA, mmmmm is that like the stuff you used to spray on spark plug leads?

Electrical contact cleaner should sort it out and see if its getting stuck on the facia around it etc common problem on some switches .
If the relay for it is working fine it should switch off when the screen is clear so should'nt drain the battery ok.

Electrical contact cleaner should sort it out and see if its getting stuck on the facia around it etc common problem on some switches .
If the relay for it is working fine it should switch off when the screen is clear so should'nt drain the battery ok.
Thanks mate will get some tomorrow.

thanks mate, contact cleaner or IPA, mmmmm is that like the stuff you used to spray on spark plug leads?
spark plugs leads would usually be something like 'AQUA' or some other sort of waterproof spray
spark plug CLEANER should be similar tho
IPA = isopropryl alcohol

spark plugs leads would usually be something like 'AQUA' or some other sort of waterproof spray
spark plug CLEANER should be similar tho
IPA = isopropryl alcohol
found some old spark plug spray says it seals the leads etc and you can use it on the battery terminals to waterproof them so not the right stuff.
been to a few shops but no isopropyl spray :-(

found some old spark plug spray says it seals the leads etc and you can use it on the battery terminals to waterproof them so not the right stuff.
been to a few shops but no isopropyl spray :-(
best place for IPA is the chemist, not like boots, but a local indepent one, and put it in a spray bottle,
or this is probably easier for you , Halfords will have something similar

Holts Electrical Contact Cleaner 500ml | Euro Car Parts

Surprise surprise, maybe its the warmer weather or pot luck who knows, BUT the push in switch works again.
Have bought some of this just in case, bargain at £1.

Attachments

• IMG_20210215_175231.jpg
    IMG_20210215_175231.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210215_175251.jpg
    IMG_20210215_175251.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
Yeah the switches can be very temperamental lol but glad to see you managed to get some spray for it.
Almost certain it will be sticking on the facia somewhere and may need a slight trim with a fettling knife and apply a liberal smear of vaseline around it lol

Last edited:
Yeah the switches can be very temperamental lol but glad to see you managed to get some spray for it.
Almost certain it will be sticking on the facia somewhere and may need a slight trim with a fettling knife and apply a liberal smear of vaseline around it lol
Ooh Errr fettling and vaseline what r u suggesting, I'm not from Yorkshire where men are men and sheep are nervous!

So why do euro carp arts want £4.05 for a can of the stuff when the asian shop locally knocks it out for £1 and must be making money on it?

So why do euro carp arts want £4.05 for a can of the stuff when the asian shop locally knocks it out for £1 and must be making money on it?
Look at volume,
Also, quality is not always the same.
tbh, for yourself that only needs a little for a 1 off 'not really important' job, anything would probably do
I wouldn't use the stuff from eurocarparts for my real job, but that's because I work with stuff at 33KV ,
General car stuff, I find ECP to be usually good value for money
You might also find your £1 can contains more carriers than active contents.

Are you new here? - on Earth?
This is how everything's been for past 20 years.
Camping gas £5 a can at camping shop.
Or £4 for 4 at Home Bargains.
E-cig coils £4 each at local shop or 5 for £8 on ebay

Are you new here? - on Earth?
This is how everything's been for past 20 years.
Camping gas £5 a can at camping shop.
Or £4 for 4 at Home Bargains.
E-cig coils £4 each at local shop or 5 for £8 on ebay
Yes spaceship landed just before christmas, I'm in a field off the noisy tarmac, think it's called a motorway.

Back