Free HD comes at a cost

firsthand

VIP Member
Millions of Freeview viewers face paying for new equipment to watch the free HD channels to be launched by the BBC and other broadcasters ahead of this year's football World Cup.

The Daily Mail reports that millions of Freeview boxes that have already been sold in the UK are incompatible with the new high definition transmission system.

Viewers who still want to watch the upcoming Freeview HD channels will therefore need to upgrade to a new generation of boxes.

Even those who have recently bought an HD-ready TV with a built-in digital receiver could be affected and forced to upgrade as well, costing them at least £170.

Technology industry expert Barry Fox told The Mail: "To watch Freeview HD, you will need either a completely new telly, which has a built-in HD receiver, or a new box that will receive the HD signals. (…)

"I think it is monstrous that people have not been told the truth about the technology. I don’t know whether this is incompetence on the part of Freeview, a lack of understanding, or deliberate.

"Freeview’s job is to educate the public about changes that are coming. I think their failure to do so is nothing short of despicable."

Around 20 million Freeview receivers have been sold in the past five years, as well as over 7 million TV sets with built-in digital receivers.

High definition channels are, however, available to watch via pay TV with either a Sky or Virgin Media package.

Back