Freesat over home network (internal IPTV) Hardware ideas

Hi,
I am currently running a W10 computer with 4 sat tuners running NextPVR. These are then distributed locally on my home network to various android devices and are currently being watched on Kodi with NextPVR plugin and the NextPVR app

I am starting to explore alternatives to save me running a computer 24/7, we also schedule recordings with NextPVR.

I am aware of HDHomeRun for Freeview and its ability to work with Plex, is there anything similar / equivalent that can work with FreeSat?

I don't have a good TV aerial currently but of course could get one installed if HD HDhomerun is the best solution for my needs

I did use a Pi using TVHeadend in the past for this purpose actually, but wasn't powerful enough. I guess things have moved on since then as this was a few years ago...

Good shout to re-visit this. Would need to look at USB tuners I guess

There was a thread the other day about TVHeadend on Enigma2 receiver. There is a also a plugin available to work with Homerun and plexDVR. HRTunerProxy. There is also SATIP ( i know nothing about it)

Issue will end up being number of tuners. Might be an idea to get a receiver with an FBC tuner as well as a unicable LNB.

Thank you for the reply, I have an Octa LNB - 2 feels currently running to a freesat box on the main TV for backup purposes, 4 feed into this W10 using TBS PCI dual tuner cards

Then a unicable LNB with legacy ports would be required if your Freesat box does not support Unicable. Otherwise you will get tuner availability issues especially if several devices are connecting to it. Anyway, you can add a Unicable LNB at later stage, they are two different technologies. Or quttro LNB and unicable switch.

If you have an Enigma2 receiver already, try that plugin first.

I don't have an Engima2 currently, as I am looking for the best hardware to buy to replace my Windows 10 power hungry desktop computer as I am trying to minimise power consumption

A Pi should be more than good enough... Unless you need to transcode the streams for the clients, in which case a Pi might not be able to cope.
Problem with using a Pi is that sat tuners can be pricey. Some people have managed to get the modular tuners (you know the ones that typically go in E2 boxes) working with Pi's etc.
There is always the option of Freeview. The genuine Xbox One USB DVB-T/C tuners work in Linux and are very cheap.

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm setting back up. Gigablue UE 4K as the main box, FBC LNB at 28 (as well as a 19.2 and a motor) and some cheaper boxes running openvix client mode does around the house.

I've done all sorts of homebrew setups over the past 20 years - VDR, MythTV, Raspberry Pi's but tbh now want something that just works and requires little maintenance.

I am new to all this, what is a FBC LNB? I have a quad LNB on the dish currently that has 4 outputs currently running to my NextPVR instance

Sorry, to be clear it's a Unicable LNB connected to a Full Band Capture tuner. Basically means you can get the effects of a quad / octo LNB through one tuner & cable.

I am new to all this, what is a FBC LNB?
There is no such thing.

You have FBC tuners, one technology.
You have Unicable LNBs/Switches, another technology.

The two technologies can be used together so that the horizontal/vertical low/high switching restrictions/limitations of a universal LNB do not apply.

For all devices, the following applies. A tuner with access to a signal source allows you to record as many services/channels as there are on that transponder/multiplex. People routinely make the mistake of saying one tuner allows viewing/recording of one channel, this is wrong.

An FBC tuner unit wired/hooked up to a Unicable LNB/switch will have access up to a maximum of 8 Transponders. Subject to the number of SCRs available and configured. An FBC tuner unit has two physical signal inputs, and six which are internally connected.

You do not need an FBC tuner to use a unicable device.

Conversely, an FBC tuner does not require a unicable device to function. However, you will not be able to fully utilise the FBC tuner module.

Last edited:
Sorry, to be clear it's a Unicable LNB connected to a Full Band Capture tuner. Basically means you can get the effects of a quad / octo LNB through one tuner & cable.
A unicable LNB/switch just allows you to split/share the satellite signal.

You could have one wire and split it to 4x Dreambox 500 receivers. Those receivers are about 15 years old. You would put the splitters where convenient for your setup. Sometimes use more than one.

If you have an FBC tuner, yes you can wire/hook up one signal wire and still configure all 8 tuners/demodulators to access the satellite signal. This is because there is internal linkage between the two physical connections. The other 6 tuners don't have their own physical connections, but if you have a unicable device, they can be configured and will work independently with a proviso. Unicable 1 devices only have 4 SCR, so best to get unicable 2 devices. If you don't have a unicable LNB switch, the 6 tuners will work as internal loop through, like vu solo2, tm nano 3t combo.

In my opinion it is better to use a splitter and connect signal wires to both physical connections of an FBC tuner/unit. However, it is not a necessity.

In my opinion (again), it is easier to understand unicable on its own first. Then accept it is a separate technology and then learn/understand how to use that with FBC tuners. In my experience, people who try to learn/understand the two technologies simultaneously usually struggle and get confused. It is a lot harder to get people to unlearn something.

Last edited:
Back