Fuse board earth tripping

cactikid

VIP Member
Pain in the arse woke up today in total darkness as no power in room and as outside light showed in houses i knew it had tripped again.But what is tripping it is the fun part.
I found i bought a plug tester that shows if 13 amp socket is wired correctly,would that work correctly if one had an issue.?
Sometimes i need to reset it a few times before it stays up and may work for 6 months or more before next issue.

tester would be handy to tell you if sockets wired correctly, but can't see it helping with what is tripping your electrics (especially if it is once in a blue moon...)
Is water getting in somewhere ??

eliminating circuits one by one is usual method, but again that's not going to help in your circumstances...

I thought it might have been the greenhouses tripping it but had the switched off and found out it still happened.Garage roof needs a slap of paint sealer to stop the odd wet area in garage but it was dry today and must keep an eye on a twin 13 amp socket moved out of the way because it would have got wet.
No leaks in main roof that i know of

How old is your fuse box?
Could be 20 years as time flies by so quickly and got house rewired.

could be mice chewing through cables
no sign of mice or droppings and no hob nail boots running across the ceilings + have a pest guard going through the house cables.

Going on lol years even before the new kitchen.Same electric shower just moved as a backup in case of no hot water in immersion with my rain head shower.

No it tripped and not wet and many times it has lashed rain and not tripped.
Electrics and greenhouse well covered and no power as switched off.

if u locate the fuse thats tripping then find all switches/electrics that run off that trip switch then turn them all off then on 1 @ a time then when it trips that will be the one thats at fualt

Its not a fuse that trips but the earth one as only one to push up and yes i have booklet of what goes where somewhere lol

if u locate the fuse thats tripping then find all switches/electrics that run off that trip switch then turn them all off then on 1 @ a time then when it trips that will be the one thats at fualt
Not an easy task if it’s only tripping every 6 months lol. Time to call in a qualified spark I would say

IMO it could be a dodgy RCD 9 times out of 10 when the rcd trips its usually an appliance that is plugged in which has developed or allows an earth fault to build up thus tripping the rcd
But I have also come across rcd's that have become faulty, from what your saying it sounds like this could be it and a change of rcd could stop the issue
But another thing to bear in mind is electronic equipment such as PCs gaming boxes, TVs anything with a circuit board all generate earth fault current and it can build up but you would need a fair bit of the stuff plugged in for this to be an issue
Also lamps blowing can cause the rcd to trip when it trips have any bulbs gone in the house?
One final question what kind of earthing system do you have are you on over head lines, by this I mean does the electricity enter your house above ground or does it enter the property from below ground TT systems (over head which is usual for rural areas) can be seceptible to more nuisance tripping than a PME (TNC-S or TNC) system under ground
For me it sounds to random to be an appliance causing the issue so I would try a change of RCD firstly as sometimes they do give up and go from there

When you say greenhouse turned off, do you mean by the MCB,? If so that could still be the issue, as the N&E are still connected and that is what causes an RCD to trip.

btw @SkipDonoghue TNC is NOT PME, and TNC-S isn't always PME.

When you say greenhouse turned off, do you mean by the MCB,? If so that could still be the issue, as the N&E are still connected and that is what causes an RCD to trip.

btw @SkipDonoghue TNC is NOT PME, and TNC-S isn't always PME.
Yeah sorry should have been clearer but didn't want to to technical TNC-S does sometimes incorporate PME and I don't no why I said TNC it was early this morning and should have said TNS anyway, but that's a Seperate earth nuetral system anyway

Back