gas boiler advice

cactikid

VIP Member
I have an old Ravenheat gas boiler unknown model to heat a 4 bedroom house but unsure about it .

Gas boiler heats rads in a 4 bedroom house + extension + ensuite and heats up water in a large immersion as also got solar panels on roof heating water.

I assumed it was a combi but know not sure if its a regular unit on wall.

Living in Dublin and need a reliable unit not overpriced due to limited funds and any names of units to look for.

Gas boiler only works via timer or instant heat button and should the pump be replaced for one that is not so hard on electricity.

I have an old Ravenheat gas boiler unknown model to heat a 4 bedroom house but unsure about it .

Gas boiler heats rads in a 4 bedroom house + extension + ensuite and heats up water in a large immersion as also got solar panels on roof heating water.

I assumed it was a combi but know not sure if its a regular unit on wall.

Living in Dublin and need a reliable unit not overpriced due to limited funds and any names of units to look for.

Gas boiler only works via timer or instant heat button and should the pump be replaced for one that is not so hard on electricity.
If you turn on a hot tap, does the boiler fire up?
If not, it's not a combi, you said immersion heater, these are electric not gas. If you meant water cylinder then this is also likely to be heated by electricity.

No , okay its not combi

No boiler does not fire up with tap on.

Yes have Immersion to top up by electric if needed.

No , okay its not combi

No boiler does not fire up with tap on.

Yes have Immersion to top up by electric if needed.
So the boiler heats the water in the tank and the immersion is just to keep it hot?

You'd be better off with a combi, then you only heat the water you use, in summer you are now paying for hot water you aren't using.

I don't know what boilers are available in Ireland but over here, Gloworm, Baxi, Vaillant, Worcester Bosch are a few decent makes

Found the booklet
RavenHeat high effincency Primary Boiler CSI Primary A.

What about heating the Radiators as boiler does this and immersion. If i shut tap off on Immersion rads get hotter and need to switch electric supply on.

Solar panels in Summer give me hot water and no need to use boiler.

Found the booklet
RavenHeat high effincency Primary Boiler CSI Primary A.

What about heating the Radiators as boiler does this and immersion. If i shut tap off on Immersion rads get hotter and need to switch electric supply on.

Solar panels in Summer give me hot water and no need to use boiler.
The combi heats the radiators, if you turn on a hot tap, the boiler diverts the heat from CH to HW automatically, if the CH isn't on, the boiler fires up every time you turn on a hot tap.
If the CH is running and you get in the shower, as soon as you get out, the CH kicks back in.
The combi has its own built-in pump. There's basically no switches, valves or anything else you need to do once it's installed, you can set HW and CH temps on the boiler and you're done

My power shower is fitted with a Rainhead and Salamander pump but the pump only gets switched on for shower as it needs to be serviced or will keep going on and off.
That was used and handy for getting hot water downstairs at sinks and upstairs sink.

So not sure how that would work out

My power shower is fitted with a Rainhead and Salamander pump but the pump only gets switched on for shower as it needs to be serviced or will keep going on and off.
That was used and handy for getting hot water downstairs at sinks and upstairs sink.

So not sure how that would work out
Do you have low water pressure on the incoming main?
That could be a problem for a combi

Attachments

• Boiler Installation & Supply Services _ Local Heroes.pdf
    181.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
They've quoted for one of the most expensive models and then added on a load of extras you don't need then added on a grand for fitting.
Buy a boiler online or from plumbase/ screwfix etc and then get a plumber to fit it for you, it'll be half that quote in total

Try to find out how old the boiler is, if it's around 15 years old you can get a grant to replace it with a higher efficiency boiler

Think its around 13 or 14 years and have noticed its losing pressure and water is now dropping below it.

Forgot to see what screwfix stock or scrapage deals or grants available.

Backup ready if needed

Usually with a boiler losing pressure, it will be from a leak. Try getting the leak sorted and maybe even invest in a hive thermostat and that can control your hot water in the summer time without firing up the heating

My thoughts as that old and needs parts and labour + a service could be expecting to pay around E300.
I have a container under it to catch water if and when it leaks.
Dont think i need a Hive as from around April it will be switched off as wont need to run the boiler.
If i need hot water Solar Panels on roof will warm it up and electric boost on immersion to make it hotter if needed.

Screwfix only do Baxi models.
Boilers | New Boilers | Screwfix

Condensation boilers like what i have at the moment .

Looking at BTU and the number of rads in house over the ones i dont use

13 rads of different sizes around the house.
3 rads are off as not in use.
Looking at the questions on sites should i just say 13 to cover my needs and not overkill in size of boiler needed.

I am bookmarking sites to compare units and prices for later.

Do you have low water pressure on the incoming main?
That could be a problem for a combi
nothing to do with water mains pressure comming into house just the fact he has old domestic type system boiler and cold water feed tank which feeds his shower by gravity is not high enough so thats why he needed to fit pump to boost pressure.

Edit: just read his boiler is losing pressure it can still be system type boiler but heating side is pressurised and hot water side not.

Last edited:
Condensation boilers like what i have at the moment .

Looking at BTU and the number of rads in house over the ones i dont use

13 rads of different sizes around the house.
3 rads are off as not in use.
Looking at the questions on sites should i just say 13 to cover my needs and not overkill in size of boiler needed.

I am bookmarking sites to compare units and prices for later.
You can work out how many BTU you need in each room, there are online calculators, you put in width, length and height and it tells you what radiator you need in each room.
When all calculated, you can then work out what size boiler you need, 24, 28, 30 kW etc.

If you are leaving the old rads in, they'll need powerflushing and you may need to work out what btu they are in order to work out boiler output

Yes i could imagine a good flush is needed.
Leaving old rads in for the moment.
At the moment my RavenHeat is at the first notch for heat as used to working in garage with no heat.

Yes i could imagine a good flush is needed.
Leaving old rads in for the moment.
At the moment my RavenHeat is at the first notch for heat as used to working in garage with no heat.
Just a word of warning with power flushing you may end up with some leaking radiators depending on how old they are and there will be no comeback from the company that does it look here this is the method this is the one we used with last company i was with
the vibration on the radiator along with the cleaning fluid can release scale in old radiators that can end up with leaks.

Back