Giggs lands PFA gong

red devil

Giggs lands PFA gong

Ryan Giggs was named the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) Players’ Player of the Year at a gala dinner in London
on Sunday night. Giggs, 35 and enjoying his 19th season in the top flight, has never previously won the award – voted by fellow
professionals – but pipped team-mates Nemanja Vidic, Edwin van der Sar, Rio Ferdinand and Cristiano Ronaldo, as well as
Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard to this year’s gong.
It's right up there with personal accolades," Giggs admitted. "It's the best to have as it's voted by your fellow players.
I've been fortunate to win a lot of trophies - I won the young player award twice - but this is the big one."
Renowned in the world game as one of the best left wingers to ever take to the pitch,
Giggs has operated largely as a central midfielder this season. Despite the positional change, the Welshman has
proved just as effective – these days it’s his guile, craft and ability to pick a pass that opens up opposition defences.
Speaking at the gala dinner, Giggs recognised the contribution United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has had on his development.
"The manager has been massive in my career, from when I first met him when I was 13," he said. "That's over 20 years
and he knows me better than anyone and our relationship has been brilliant and just gets better.
"I've been so fortunate to have such a great career in so many great teams. It's not even worth thinking about what it would
have been like without the manager."
Giggs is the 32nd different player to win the award and takes the crown from fellow United star Cristiano Ronaldo,
who won both the senior and young-player awards last term.

Previous United Winners

1988/89 - Mark Hughes
1990/91 - Mark Hughes
1991/92 - Gary Pallister
1993/94 - Eric Cantona
2000/01 - Teddy Sheringham
2001/02 - Ruud van Nistelrooy
2006/07 - Cristiano Ronaldo
2007/08 - Cristiano Ronaldo
2008/09 - Ryan Giggs

from www.manutd.com

so the pfa player of half a year now only has to appear every second match,and why dont they vote for this award at the end of the season and make it a season performance award!!!

so the pfa player of half a year now only has to appear every second match,and why dont they vote for this award at the end of the season and make it a season performance award!!!

i must admit he hasnt played very much this season but......it is his fellow
professional's that have given him this award, prob just for being a legend
and on the verge of his 800th app for united :)

i must admit he hasnt played very much this season but......it is his fellow
professional's that have given him this award, prob just for being a legend
and on the verge of his 800th app for united :)

Well done to Ryan Giggs
He has been and still is a true United man,all the players today should look to his example,a player who can still turn a game:rock on:

how funny 12 games was all it has taken for him this season to win it. lol must be retiring in 5 games time:raffa:

I’m sure Giggs only received this award because he due to retire, how he can win that after only starting 12 games is beyond me, it does seem a little biased.

Having said that, I believe that Giggs deserves a lifetime PFA award, not necessarily the player of the year award.

Maybe when you consider that this award was voted for by the players themselves, it’s maybe not too surprising, should have been called the ‘PFA Sentimental Award’.

Possibly Gerrard was a more worthy case, he’s certainly had another outstanding season.

Back