Going to get a new Starview box.

Evastar:
I am on NTL provider.
I don't know how to check MMDS or True Cable, (little help?), what guarantees can I get off websites?
I have a Starview 1 box. Lost all Sky Movies, Sky Sports, Setanta Sports, only channels I have are the terrestrial ones, RTE 1 -> Sky One ->E4 etc. Still have Bravo I think.
All the rest gone. Sports is the main one Im looking for.

the aerial on the roof is mmds, most sites give a year guaruntee for faulty boxes

Thats the one.

To be honest, no one knows how long the boxes will last in Ireland on nagra 2.

So its up to yourself whether you want to chance you`re arm and splash out on a new box ;)

I dare you to ask for it lol Considering that some genuine Starview 4 boxes are been bricked also I would be weary.

Although as Noel said Wiz are usually good but I can tell you that some of their boxes are starting to die also.

I dont know about getting a refund if the nagra 3 change happened.

You could always wait for a fix or sell it on to someone on Ch*rus cable.

As said earlier, no one knows how long, and if you got a few months out of it then its money well spent.

EDIT - Answered Above lol

Last edited:
Gman doesnt get them conye.
He was recommended to you because he knows the set up very well in Galway ;)

He does`nt and never has dealt in boxes.

Last edited:
all you can do conye is buy a box from were ever keep it all crossed that its still working this time next year.

will they have to change the cards again for n3 noel

why havent they sent them out in bulk, wen it happens here il be battered by them, il have every customer in one hit.

why are ppl buying these boxes as they will be gone by oct nov get a freeview sat box and a dish 3000 channels chances are the boxes mite be back around 2010 any 1 using pace will need a infinity usb phonix programmer for there cards
these guys are making as much money selling sv4 usb and krypt dreambox
when they go down

I have a starview2 "the box". Doesn't work anymore with NTL in Galway. Is this box now totally useless or is there new firmware on the way ? Also, can anyone explain or point me to a link that explains why certain boxes are working and others don't ? What is ntl doing different now than 6 months ago that is making things harder to decrypt ?

Cheers

I have a starview2 "the box". Doesn't work anymore with NTL in Galway. Is this box now totally useless or is there new firmware on the way ? Also, can anyone explain or point me to a link that explains why certain boxes are working and others don't ? What is ntl doing different now than 6 months ago that is making things harder to decrypt ?

Cheers

I would not expect to see a new firmware for that box.

Certain boxes are working because coders have written firmware to handle the change in encryption.

UPC/NTL were deploying an encryption method known as Nagra & this is the system that was in place when all the well known boxes were working (Replay, Eurovox, Starview etc).

Then they changed to a more difficult encryption called Nagra2. Many of the powers who provide the firmware decided not to release an updated firmware.

Why? well the jury is still out on that one!!! Personally I believe it was a on purpose so as to make a nearly saturated market empty again. Think about it? lets say there were 1,000000 working boxes in use? & overnight they all stopped working. Now you have a million users who have become dependent on the amount of channels they have been receiving, it's like any addiction, they need their fix, along comes a box that had been around for a long time but not that widely known about, and guess what? it works on the new Nagra2 encryption? Nice sales figures don't you think?

The only boxes to my knowledge working on the new Nagra2 encryption are

1. Kryptview

2. ITGate

3. Starview USB 4

It is looking like UPC/NTL will be moving to a newer encryption known as Nagra3 & that's apparently a very difficult encryption to decode. It's a wait & see game for now.

You can get a better insight into what Nagra is & how it works from this video.

[YOUTUBEHD]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hfr6tX6QQ9U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hfr6tX6QQ9U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEHD]

-

@Gman u can add the dreambox to that list as well
im on mmds where nagra 1/2/3 are being streamed but only n1 being used and ive had my dreambox workin on n2 stream for a while now without any probs (hope deres not a keyroll tomorrow lol) my advice would be to get a box with an eathernet port (y)

Back