Got a Skybox F5 but thining of changing already!

bazhef

Hi,
I only got my Skybox F5 two weeks ago after having a Sky+ HD box for years.
I'm finding the transition difficult but can't justify paying Sky's high prices for Sports and Movies.
Yesterday the guy who sold me the F5 posted a video of his newly installed Cloud Ibox2 which has the Sky 7 day EPG, On Demand and Online movies.

Would this be a good box to change to?

I have read on another forum that they have stopped support for that box and a number have been bricked with a recent upgrade.

Ideally i would want a twin tuner so i can record as when i had Sky+ i recorded everything and watched when it suited me.
Other than that, having the standard Sky layout would help the rest of my family as they are finding it hard to get used to the EPG on the F5.

If i can't find an alternative box, i think i may as well just resubscribe to Sky for one of the basic packages and then use the F5 for Sports and Movies, which is still a lot cheaper than Sky but not totally ideal.

Any advice much appreciated.

I Have a cloud ibox 2 plus and i love it alot better than teh skybox. plus it has differnt skins to make it look like sky.

Online movies on it are hit and miss tho.

Epg is excellent.

If you flash it correct you will not brick it same as upgrading anything else.

Is it easy enough to flash it?
These boxes are all pretty new to me but i can find my way around a computer so if there is a tutorial i should be able to follow it.

If you want it to be just like the SkyHD box then you need to buy a twin tuner box so really you will be looking at around £200 mark.

iBox 2 is a single tuner box and when they work they are good and to flash an image is simple you download the image then extract zip to fat32 memory stick stick it in the box when it is off turn it on it flashes it can take about 10min.

All Linux based boxes take a fair amount of setting up before you get them running the way you like them. Do plenty of reading up on the various boxes before choosing the one that suits you best and don't expect to get everything right first time. Best of luck.

Unfortunately i wouldnt know where to start reading up on them as i dont really know enough about models and makes of them to make a decisive selection.

Any recommendations?

If it came down to it, the twin tuner could be sacrificed for a better box, but i dont think £200 is excessive considering my old Sky Sub was about £80/month.

Still would probably keep the basic Sky for recording if that was the case.

Plus i could sell the F5 and 2x D-Link wifi smart plugs i bought along with it.

I was told i would need them but my Sky wifi on demand box does the job through the Ethernet port so not even using them.

google world of sat, they don't sell clones, prices to suit all pockets but before buying has stated do plenty of reading.
If you decide to buy plenty of help & great sticky threads to help you get up on this forum no matter which box you buy

I actually been looking at a gigablue combo box gigablue se any one know if these are any good??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately i wouldnt know where to start reading up on them as i dont really know enough about models and makes of them to make a decisive selection.

Any recommendations?

If it came down to it, the twin tuner could be sacrificed for a better box, but i dont think £200 is excessive considering my old Sky Sub was about £80/month.

Still would probably keep the basic Sky for recording if that was the case.

Plus i could sell the F5 and 2x D-Link wifi smart plugs i bought along with it.

I was told i would need them but my Sky wifi on demand box does the job through the Ethernet port so not even using them.

If you dont mind spending a bit at the start to avoid headaches later then maybe try pushing your ceiling up to the Vu+ range.
They have whats widely considered the best hardware available and by far the best support. Anyone who has one loves it.
The ibox 2+ is great BUDGET CLONE and will do most stuff if you like to play (I love mine).
But if you want a box that you leave be and quality ui everyone says Vu+ is what you want.

Last edited:
Back