Got an F3 thinking of a vuduo

nicke20

Hi all
just bought a skyboxf3 realy as a test to see if it was all true ;)
well it is, but not that impressed with the skybox, so was thinking of buying something a bit better
will the vu duo do the same? as in loading a cline and channel list?
will i be able to watch one and record another encrypted channel
and importantly will the picture quality be better than the f3?
are there any other sat recievers worth looking at that work like the skybox but better??
regards
Nick

They all flash differently, you are best having a look in each section.

Here are some quick pointers,

Budget boxes about £60, F3 and openbox, both HD, both PVR.
EPG is only now and next on all budget boxes so you have to record by setting it like
the old video days.

Blade, DM800, (Single Tuners) Same as above £150 ish, 7 day EPG, recording function
easier to use.

Linux (or open scource ) boxes such as Dreamboxes are a bit more fiddly to set up I believe.

£300 ish gets you a twin tuner box so you can record one program
and watch another likes of VU+ DUO

Think you get what you pay for with sat boxes so just depends on your
budget

C/S and subs, with all, generally a better service than the cable side.

I would also say what ever you go for, get a popular box, you can tell in each
section by the date and frequency of the posts and the type of feedback.
If you get stuck it will be easier to find help.

Good Luck (y)

Just wondering whats up with the picture quality,
Its a HD box it should be spot on ?

Last edited:
as you mentioned vu duo dont buy the clones as they are as good as starview boxeslol,cheap build and power issues,the duo is been replaced by the next generation mk 2.

Hi all
just bought a skyboxf3 realy as a test to see if it was all true ;)
well it is, but not that impressed with the skybox, so was thinking of buying something a bit better
will the vu duo do the same? as in loading a cline and channel list?
will i be able to watch one and record another encrypted channel
and importantly will the picture quality be better than the f3?
are there any other sat recievers worth looking at that work like the skybox but better??
regards
Nick

your not going to get anymore channels or any better signal all we get these boxes is for watching the tv who cares about the extras budget box the price is good and if sky c/ goes tits up your door stopper will owe ya nothing.

thanks for the replies so far guys
I realise im a bit late in joining this community (how did this pass me by?) i was in on the days of ondigital and elvis programmers lol
as far as picture quality goes im comparing it to the built in freebiew hd on my 50" panny plasma, that is stunning for freeview and the skybox doesnt come close. I may play with component out at a lower output and run it through a scaler (iscan), ill read up on the blade media box aswell as the others. end of the day i can always pass first box to one of the kids rooms, with an eddited channel list lol
I must say this is a pleasent forum, I hate being a newbie on a subject and its nice not to be flamed and told all the info is here find it yourself!!
cheers guys

I'm running a blade, picture quality is spot on.

as BoxT mentioned about your signal quality

Do you know what it is ?

Could it be a cable / F connector issue ?

i take it u have got your box on 1080 etc in settings but u only get what u pay for and it is a good cheap box i like the vu box and there is a few others out there its all down to how much and how far u want to go.technomate also do some good ones

I fully appreciate the how much do you want to spend bit
truth told for 5 years my iscan scaler (£800 ouch) made normal sky look like sky hd! the f3 was realy a toe dip
signal strength 90% quality 76%, set at 1080p.
now purists need to close their ears, digital is digital, its ones and noughts either your hdmi cable works or it doesnt, yes you can have interference but if the picture and sound have no drop outs then thats it!
this realy is now an exercise in riding the learning curve and knowing as much as i need to to make informed decisions on what to do next
all good fun :)

Hey Nicke20 I'm in the same boat as you are I got myself a Skybox F3 this week it's a good box but now I'm wanting more like dual tuner, 7 day EPG, Media Server that can stream from the PC the VU+ boxes look interesting not sure if V2 ones are out yet as I've just decided today to upgrade so I can wait but I read something about the VU+ DUO 2 coming out early this year which sounds interesting.

I'll be given the kids the Skybox F3 with the kids channel list once I replace the F3.

Component out ? and Iscaler ?
you need a TV with a HDMI input
no wonder your not getting a good picture. lol

Back