Got an install today, should i ask?

kegnkiwi

TK Veteran
I have a new install happening this afternoon where I have signed up for 200mb internet for a year. Should I be cheeky and ask the engineer to run a cable to the back of where the tv is and tell him I am thinking of taking the tv sub when my sky sub is up, or do you think this is a red flag. I've got a solo4k with cable tuner ready to go.

Can see your thinking but very much doubt the engineer will do this for the simple fact it wont be on his job card etc and may arouse suspicion etc

Yeh I'm concerned too and it's not me be who would be asking it's the other half. I've got plenty of coax so I guess I'll need a splitter and some connections. Got loads of sat stuff but on cable stuff.

Yeah not worth the risk and a splitter and some cabling is cheap as chips to buy to get you connected up and make sure you dont buy a cheap and nasty splitter like i did when i first started off etc tratec 5-1000 or technetix splitter is what you need but some people have had success with splitters purchased from screwfix etc

Do you recon the splitters are the same as used in satellite stuff? Got one sat at home and just need a f to coax adapter.

Just get the other half to ask nicely then they will supply the right splitter and cable etc and test each run.
When I initially had VM out I had them put in 4 runs in. Just had to "have a wee word with the engineer" [emoji6]

Nearly all the engineers I've bumped into couldn't give a toss what's going on in anyone's home.
A cup of tea and a small "tip" to add extra cable and slitters is no skin of there nose.

I said I might move my box at some stage and he left me with some 15m of extra cable for when I was doing it

Sure just get them to install the hub there and move it later
Very easy done

I also had some old old tv cable to the upstairs of the house, which was there before we bought. Never had a problem splitting to it

Get them to put the hub in your main TV room. They will connect it to which ever room you need.

Tell them you will have a smart TV in that room and you want it hard wired to the router.

Then if you want to run a second cable box in a different room set it up as a slave from your VU box, then you
don't need to run another coax to it.

The hub is going into the same room as the tv but I don't want the hub next to the tv as it looks big an unsightly. All the Ethernet cables run from where the tv is the where the main bt phone mastersocket that that is where the 1300ac homeplug plugs in too. I have a sat splitter lying around and I will head off the toolstation and pick up a bag of f to coax male connectors for £3.50. Guys it looks like the mrs is heading off under the house tonight to run a new cable. I'll have to dig out a hair net and my old overalls for her. She did want a solid wood floor that took by access hatch away. Now I cannot fit in the new one. LOL

Ive got the cable all under the floor already and bought a splitter from screwfix and connectors from tool station. One review on SF said he had used it for cable. As of last night the fastest WiFi connection we had was 207mb and on my phone this morn upstairs through homeplugs and WiFi 165mb. We will see if we get any lost with the splitter I have.

Back