grinding my gears!

BeakyFord

TK Veteran
OK first & foremost I'm simply venting & letting off steam... some posts/threads grind my gears as they give the wrong impression &/or duff information but none more so than Enigma2 being referred to as Zgemma... I am aware of there shady origins before rebranding as Zgemma but for the sake of this rant I will try to stay on topick... Zgemma are just one manufacturer of Enigma2 based systems, back in the early days they were...lets say... not so great as early models were slow & troublesome to say the least but Zgemma have come a long way since then.
The H2 models opened the market to a cheaper version of Enigma2 devices which should be described as a good thing... they were very good value as an entry level system into the Enigma2 way of doing things & this is where I will begin my main rant...

Could those of you who respond to Enigma2 system related threads please start pointing out that most issues are not make/model specific... what I mean by this is Zgemma models are being blamed for the issues people encounter that are not box failures... they are all too often related to lack of knowledge or poor advice being given. I have just seen another post referring to flashing/installing of software that blames Zgemma saying they are fussy/picky regarding USB's... through personal experience working with several manufactures systems over the years I am confident in saying this is utter rubbish...!
If you don't prep a USB correctly/use the correct flash files/load files correctly or start the flash process correctly... no Enigma2 system will begin the flash process... none of this is the boxes fault, currently the Zgemma H9 model appears to be the Elephant in the room.
Excluding the very rare occasion any system can fail there is f**k'all wrong with this or any other model in the range!

Before anyone jumps on me I will clarify why Zgemma gets more problem posts than any other Enigma2 devices...put simply user knowledge...higher end system users generally have been around longer & have better base knowledge so can overcome issues themselves, it's newer users starting out at the cheaper end with little to no base knowledge who struggle the most that then post asking for help which isn't always given clearly, to respond by saying 'just flash this or that build' doesn't provide any insight or learning to the OP....share your knowledge so they can gain some understanding of Enigma2 systems.

mini rants...

Base firmware:
VIX is better than ATV.... ATV is better than VIX.... utter codswallop... both firmware's function well although I will concede in the past 3rd party addons like skins have cause ATV system crashes/boot issues, in ATV's defense ATV was for a long time the primary base image for Zgemma installs as VIX wasn't supported, thankfully these type problems appear to be in the past.

PREBUILDS:
'Variety is a spice of life' personal preference does not make what is right for you...right for someone else.
Wooshbuild is better than Grogbuild, Grogbuild is better than Willobuild, Willobuild is better than dsayersbuild... Mybuild is better than Yourbuild... this is laughable because ALL builds have been carefully put together by experienced/knowledgeable time served TK members, they have been thoroughly tested & vetted by site admins before being added to resources section, once upon a time members followed detailed guides & made there own images which in turn taught them the base knowledge of how Enigma2 works, which plugins you can/cant install & how to put an image together.

Finger pointing:
It's becoming common to blame service providers for all manner of things as soon as your service is interrupted without checking the basics first, often the issues are location/in situ related... your internet is down, homeplugs stopped working, vpn required or any number of other localized possibilities that are relevant to your house/internet provider. IF you have checked everything possible at your end without success contact your provider, if unhelpful & the provider is a member of TK's contact an Admin... do not start posting pointing fingers as there may be a genuine reason for downtime, the Admin here do there level best to resolve these type of problems & will take action when needed.

To end on a positive: if any of the above filters through & reduces the volume of repeated posts/question/answers we will all have more time to enjoy our viewing.
OK that's me done for now, if nothing else I feel better for letting all that out :)

Last edited:
Base firmware:
VIX is better than ATV.... ATV is better than VIX.... utter codswallop... both firmware's function well although I will concede in the past 3rd party addons like skins have cause ATV system crashes/boot issues, in ATV's defense ATV was for a long time the primary base image for Zgemma installs as VIX wasn't supported, thankfully these type problems appear to be in the past.

Yes I can confirm that ATV is nearly as good as ViX behindsofa.gif

Back